Can't debug on new slave install

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
atostaine

Can't debug on new slave install

Post by atostaine » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:27 pm

Lansa V14SP2, all epc's. Trying to debug a web page.

The install is on a VM but I've been successful debugging on other IDE's/VM's.

I think the debug server is responding because when I start the web page it runs immediately. If I change the port to something else the web page hangs. If I turn off the VM and load the web page it hangs also. The service is started, port 51230. Can't find the service name in the services app though.

I never see the debug icons come up in the IDE, and none of my breakpoints stop. I even have break at first executable. Maybe I've missed a step in the IDE? I've done this dozens of times but this one has me stumped. Note that I can debug the same web page on another install. So it's not a debug enabled issue. Any ideas appreciated.

Art
Art Tostaine

PatrickF

Re: Can't debug on new slave install

Post by PatrickF » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:09 pm

Check Windows Firewall, especially if the VM is running a WIndows Server OS, check whether Inbound ports are blocked by Windows Firewall Service
See screen shot for an example of FIrewall Rules by application. Recommend turning Firewall off to confirm that it is the issue and then set an exclusion for the LANSA Services you need running on the VM that are connecting to other addresses on the network.
Firewall rules.png
Firewall rules.png (86 KiB) Viewed 23519 times

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:52 pm

Yes turned off firewall completely.
Art Tostaine

Dino

Post by Dino » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:50 pm

Hi Art
Try telnet from the ibm to the name and port used in the URL for debug.
If the telnet respond then the port is open and visible to the ibm. All should be good.
If not, try with the ip instead of the name.
If that passes, add the name of the pc with that ip in the tcp list in the ibm.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:45 am

Thanks Dino. It connects and then disconnects. It doesn't time out. Should I see any text coming back at all?

I ran wireshark and I can see my IBM i address connecting, and even a response on 51239. But debug doesn't start. This is weird.
Frame 23: 69 bytes on wire (552 bits), 69 bytes captured (552 bits) on interface \Device\NPF_{D7761B6B-AA88-4D17-AA8E-C68D78A1AB89}, id 0
Ethernet II, Src: Netgear_4a:22:ae (78:d2:94:4a:22:ae), Dst: VMware_a3:aa:f2 (00:0c:29:a3:aa:f2)
Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: xx.xx.93.122, Dst: 192.168.2.75
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 39403, Dst Port: 51239, Seq: 1, Ack: 1, Len: 3
Data (3 bytes)

*EDIT* I'm checking the firewall on the server. I don't think they have my original debug port 51230 open but we will see.

Art
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:50 am

Still struggling with this. I also tried to debug a VLF-Win component to save results. It doesn't hang though, it just doesn't show the debug view and doesn't stop at breakpoints.

Art
Art Tostaine

kno_dk

Post by kno_dk » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:02 am

Hi Art.

I have the same problem - I can not debug from the pc or from the IBM I.

I will try to upgrade to EPC150060 this weekend to see if that helps.

/klaus

bark

Post by bark » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am

Bit late replying to this but have you checked the possibility (dated 11 July) here https://lansa.com/support/v14news/index.html
It only affects Windows 11 PCs but debug is listed as a feature affected.

cheers
bark

Tim McEntee

Post by Tim McEntee » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:21 am

Hi Art

The most common reason that you cannot run remote debug is that the port and possibly Ip address of your PC are blocked for outgoing requests.

The request to run the web page starts from your PC. This has details of the remote debug request, but it is just the incoming request. The server then interprets the remote debug details and initiates a request back to the PC specified in the request. The IBMi will be inside a DMZ and when this server tries to communicate outside of the DMZ to your PC it will have to go through firewall rules which are different to the incoming rules. If outgoing communication is locked down to only specific IP addresses and or ports then this is what will be stopping remote debugging from working.

The reason you use Telnet is because it makes a TCP connection on an Ip address and port, which is the same technology as Lansa comms. If it is unsuccessful it usually gives a not so good message, but it does not connect. It can take a while to realise it can't connect. If Telnet connects you have opened a terminal session from the IBMi to your PC and you will get a simple prompt
>_

You also need to make sure that you have Telnet operational on both your PC and on the IBMi.

Tim

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:55 am

Thanks for the info. I’ve got it working using Parallels as the emulation .. I’ve tried everything I can think of using VM fusion on the same port or different ones and I cannot get it working.

I’m trying to not pay yearly for Parallels to run Windows.

I’ve got a M1 Mac it’s amazing I’ve got SQL server and Lansa running on windows 11 ARM at all.
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:18 am

Tim: I'm trying to TELNET (Putty TELNET) to that port on my Slave IDE system to test. I don't get a response. Should I get the prompt you mentioned?

Please see putty config and log...
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 3.09.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 3.09.34 PM.png (196.56 KiB) Viewed 22756 times

Code: Select all

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2024.01.29 15:16:31 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Event Log: Looking up host "127.0.0.1" for Telnet connection
Event Log: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 port 51234
Event Log: client negotiation: WILL NAWS
Event Log: client negotiation: WILL TSPEED
Event Log: client negotiation: WILL TTYPE
Event Log: client negotiation: WILL NEW_ENVIRON
Event Log: client negotiation: DO ECHO
Event Log: client negotiation: WILL SGA
Event Log: client negotiation: DO SGA
Event Log: Connected to 127.0.0.1
Art Tostaine

René Houba

Post by René Houba » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:58 pm

Hi Art,

I had issues using debug when I used the PC name in the VL Debug settings. I had this solved when I used the IP address instead.

Does that solve yours as well probably?

Kind regards,
René

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 am

Thanks Rene. No it didn't. Something is different about the Vm setup and I've given up at this point.

Art
Art Tostaine

Tim McEntee

Post by Tim McEntee » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:49 am

To test your telnet you should be on a green screen session on your IBMi. Type telnet n.n.n.n
where the IP address is the internal intranet IP address of your slave machine. You are trying to talk directly from one computer to another within your company's intranet.

On your slave system run cmd.exe and ipconfig and this will show the IP address to look for. This is my internal ip address when I connected to Houston VPN, it will likely change with each connection. This is the IP address that the IBMi within that network will know my computer as.
PPP adapter Houston:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.30.214
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:16 pm

I’m able to do this. What should I expect to see on the IBM I session?
Art Tostaine

Tim McEntee

Post by Tim McEntee » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:44 pm

Make sure that telnet is available on your pc. I did a simple telnet from my pc to the IBMi and got a signon screen. One way works.

Make sure that your debug listener is running. In your Lansa IDE - File Options - Debug - it will have the port.

From the IBMi do
ping 'nn.nn.nn.nn'
This runs on UDP protocol so is not perfect but it is quicker than telnet. Firewalls can have separate rules for TCP & UDP. Don't ask me what they mean.

Then do
TELNET RMTSYS('nn.nn.nn.nn') PORT(nnnnn)

On the default port 23 - I got could not connect
On a lansa debug listener port I got -
Connecting to remote host 192.168.30.214 using port 51234.
TELNET session ended. Connection closed.
Which is a fail but better than could not connect. It means it got to my pc but couldn't start a telnet session, so I don't think a firewall is the problem.

Detailed help shows:
Message ID. . . . . . :TCP2504Severity. . . . . . . :00Message type. . . . . :CompletionDate sent . . . . . . : 03/01/24 Time sent . . . . . . : 00:46:08Message . . . . : TELNET session ended. Connection closed.Cause . . . . . : The session ended because either you quit TELNET, or the remote TELNET server closed the connection in an orderly manner.Recovery . . . : Start TELNET again

With a successful connection you should get a session started with a simple prompt.

I think with either of these responses you should be able to remote debug.

Have you tried debugging an RDMLX function starting the process from the IBMi command line
LANSA REQUEST(X_RUN) PROCESS(M157200) FUNCTION(R157220) PARTITION('V40')
X_RUNADPRM('dbug=Y dbht=nn.nn.nn.nn:51235')

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:48 am

All: This fix to copy lx_util.dll worked for my Windows 11 VM. I stumbled on it from another post on this page.

11 July 2023 Visual LANSA All

Category: Visual LANSA failures after applying Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 updates

https://lansa.com/support/v14news/
LANSA has established what is causing the problem and the fix is scheduled for the next EPCs for the supported versions of LANSA. In the meantime, there is a simple workaround

copy \x_win95\x_lansa\execute\lxutil.dll into \Connect
copy \x_win64\x_lansa\execute\lxutil.dll into \Connect64
Art Tostaine