AWS Development Environment

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

AWS Development Environment

Post by jyoung » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:45 am

Has anybody been able to get the LANSA Development Environment on AWS to work after the 14.1 GA update?

Once the instance starts up, it is not allowing me to get the Windows password.
I've let it sit for 15 minutes, AWS suggests waiting 4 minutes after launching to get the password, and still no luck.

It also seems to fail the instance status check quite a few times. I would reboot, start, stop terminate and launch a new instance all with the same problem.

I don't think its my VPC as I can launch a new non-LANSA instance and be on it pretty quickly.

LANSAGuru

Re: AWS Development Environment

Post by LANSAGuru » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:47 am

Did this start at 13.2 and then go through updates or was this started at 14.0 and then get upgraded to 14.1?

I know if an image is copied, you can no longer retrieve the administrator password. However I am not sure how the update process occurs, but I am imagining that this prevents the ability to retrieve the administrator password.

There is someone at LPC who knows how this all works, and assuming they will respond to this. If you need, AWS has a procedure to reset the administrator password. Google it and you can see the steps. If you created any other profiles, you can try logging on with those.

robe070

Post by robe070 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:38 am

I am able to instantiate a 14.1 IDE instance in ap-southeast-2 (Sydney).

You are probably instantiating the instance in a different Region and thus you are using a different AMI. This AMI is created by AWS from an AMI that LANSA provides. So, the most likely cause is that the AMI has been corrupted in the publishing process.

Which Region are you using and, to double check, please provide the AMI ID. If you click on the instance in the EC2 console you will see it listed on the Description tab on the right hand side 7 rows down. Select the entire value and post it back here.

Secondly, please instantiate an instance in the Sydney Regio and post back whether it works or not.

Thank you

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Apologies for the late reply, just started a new job.

I am in the N. Virginia region. The AMI ID is LANSA IDE 14.1 2016-08-10T16-22-31-c3cfe2ce-dc93-44e3-9cc9-a65cdb734940-ami-7c8d136b.3 (ami-9753ca80)

Will try to start one up in the Sydney region.

@LANSAGuru
I was able to get onto it when it was labeled 13.2 but was actually 14. Like you mentioned, I suspect that there is a problem with the EC2ConfigService. I think that after the AMI is created, you have to re-enable the password generation in the Ec2ConfigService/Settings/config.xml to get it to generate a new Windows Password on lauch.

Thanks,
Joe