Compiling LANSA Components outside the VL IDE

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
alih

Compiling LANSA Components outside the VL IDE

Post by alih » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:35 am

Hi,

Assuming a LANSA environment installed on Windows and is using Git version control. My question is:

Using the Windows command prompt, is there a way to extract LANSA objects "code" from the YAML files (after a git pull), then build/compile that into DLL's/JS files...etc. to generate -from scratch- a complete solution that is ready to run?

The goal is to implement continuous deployment and continuous integration by scripting the LANSA build/compile process.

Thanks

Stewart Marshall

Re: Compiling LANSA Components outside the VL IDE

Post by Stewart Marshall » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 am

Hi Ali

Sorry to say, but the short answer today is that this still requires manual intervention.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

alih

Post by alih » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:14 am

Thanks Stewart.

dominique

Post by dominique » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Stewart,
We have the same goal as Ali.
You said "in short". Is there an extensive answer?
What alternatives do you suggest to implement a continuous integration/continuous deployment process, e.g. with Bamboo?

robe070

Post by robe070 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:30 pm

The long answer is that LANSA is working towards implementing features which will allow it to be be incorporated into a CI/CD pipeline.

Thats short to say, but longish on implementation.

Command line builds will be included. Its only a question of when.

The first feature off the block is 1-Click Deployment. This will be released in an EPC for V14 SP1. It will only be available on request once a beta agreement has been entered into. To obtain the EPC, please keep an eye on our released EPCs on this page http://www.lansa.com/support/notes/epc/vl.htm#V14. Its currently numbered EPC 141060, and that may change. When its posted there, contact your local LANSA office to enter into the beta program.

From within the IDE, a release manager can click on a button which will deploy all the LANSA executable artefacts to a test system, including transferring test data across and applying table definition updates. At first it will be integrated into the IDE but it has been written to be easily run from the command line. It uses a git repository (not the same as the source code repository) to distribute the executable artefacts via a GitHub repo (public or private). It could be customised quite easily to use any git upstream repository on which a web hook or trigger may be configured. The test system runs a deployment hub which is notified by the trigger and pulls the changes down into the test system. The deployment of a single web page change without any tables takes in the order of 15 seconds from clicking the button to the new web page being available on the test system.

If you take part in the beta program, you can expect a fast response to issues raised and good ideas will be implemented as quickly as possible.

Preview documentation of the feature may be found here: http://docs.lansa.com/14/en/VLDToolDevO ... s_0010.htm

The intention is to GA the 1-Click Deployment feature in V14 SP2.

HMJust

Post by HMJust » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:51 pm

CI/CD sounds very promising.

I have a question, since I am struggling a bit with the terminology. This is partly because I am working on a system that by now is quite old and we switch between a v.12 and a v.14 environment.

So when the doc says "Only the very latest Web technology is supported. WAMs and older technologies are not supported." could you expand on that, or rather, which is the "very latest Web technology". I want to make sure that any new projects here follow that path.
I don't know what I am doing, nor how I did it. If it works, luck was involved :geek:

robe070

Post by robe070 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:07 am

In V14 we introduced Web Pages. This is the technology currently supported by 1-Click Deployment. We may expand it to support WAMs in the future, but nothing earlier than that.

robe070

Post by robe070 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:54 pm

The One Click deployment EPC has been released. See the announcements section: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1506

robe070

Post by robe070 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Note that components may be compiled from RDMLX using the COMPILE_COMPONENT BIF. And thus you could write an RDMLX program which could be executed from the command line to compile your components.

There currently is no method of importing the YAML into the LANSA repository. That would need to be a manual operation until that feature is released.

dominique

Post by dominique » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Sounds good. Thanks robe and Stewart