IBM i LANSA Disaster Recovery

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

IBM i LANSA Disaster Recovery

Post by jyoung » Fri May 05, 2017 1:50 am

Our system admins are doing some disaster recovery work on our iSeries by mirroring our production server (prod1) to another iSeries (prod1B).

Currently they are mirroring the libraries and IFS and the question came up on how to "mirror" LANSA over to other server.

Can we simply mirror the install (/root/LANSA_dcxpgmlib/)? I feel like it can't be that easy. Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Thanks,
Joe

billcross

Re: IBM i LANSA Disaster Recovery

Post by billcross » Fri May 05, 2017 4:56 am

Unfortunately is isn't that easy. The Lansa license information that is stored on the IFS uses the serial number of the machine in question. Running Lansa on the mirrored system with the mirrored IFS will generate a license error.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Fri May 05, 2017 4:58 am

I "think" they plan to get another license for the back up server, honestly however, I am out of that loop (thankfully :D).

If we do have a valid license, would the mirror work?

billcross

Post by billcross » Fri May 05, 2017 5:12 am

That would work as long as the new license was applied post mirroring. I would also recommend that you verify with Lansa other places where license information may be stored.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Sat May 06, 2017 6:18 am

We mirror the /LANSA_DCXPGMLIB in the IFS (we eliminate some of the logging directories, also the temporary directories where it creates code to compile, etc.

Also the LANSA program and data libraries. Very simple.

If the systems are on the same physical serial#, your license code may work on the other machine, though I'm not sure if you are licensed to run production there.
Art Tostaine

dianejoester

Post by dianejoester » Mon May 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Refer to the following Support tip for details of High Availability (Mirroring) on IBM i for LANSA:
http://www.lansa.com/support/tips/t0554.htm

This also contains a link to details on how to consolidate licenses for multiple machines in a single location to support mirroring.