VLF-ONE Bring Filter to Front

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

VLF-ONE Bring Filter to Front

Post by jyoung » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:25 am

Given that an object can have multiple Filters, how do you bring one to the front, or make it the active / selected filter?

Since there is an "avIsAtFront" property, I was expecting to find a "avBringToFront" or "avActivate" or other method to actually bring it to the front.

There is the "uBringToFront" method that you can override but does not seem to actually bring it to the front.

MarkD

Re: VLF-ONE Bring Filter to Front

Post by MarkD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 am

The problem is that each filter is an independent reusable part.
Filters are not tabs on a tabbed folder, and only the filter at the front actually exists at any point in time.
So the only viable way to bring one to the front is for the user to click on the tab (which is not really a tab).

What people usually do in VLF-WIN when they want to have fine control of the filter tabs is to create a single VLF filter.
To the VLF there is only one filter - so it does not create any pseudo tabs.

The single filter itself then contains a tabbed folder - each tab containing the different selection criteria.
The single filter then has complete programmatic control over what happens and when.

It also makes communication with other components simpler.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:56 am

Ugh, that bites.

However, as you mentioned having one Filter that has multiple tabs that I can manage myself should prove useful in other scenarios.

Lesson Learned!

Thanks,
Joe

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am

We will add something to avSwitch to allow you to at least specify which filter you want.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 am

That would be awesome!

Thanks,
Joe