VL Frameworks and Groups

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

VL Frameworks and Groups

Post by jyoung » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:17 am

Something that has really bothered me for awhile now is that there is a ton of seemingly garbage in Frameworks and Groups nodes in the Repository.
All of this stuff has effectively prevented my from using the Frameworks and Groups as an organizational structure. Everything I've done so far has been lumped into the "Administration" framework.

I have no idea where this stuff came from, I am assuming a lot came from the initial trial when the company was evaluating LANSA.

These pics depict our DEV environment iSeries and portray a small portion of what is in there.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (67.99 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (64.14 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Is there any way to clean all this stuff up, i.e. delete it?

How does getting rid of all of this affect our PROD environment iSeries? Does all this exist in PROD to?

dianejoester

Re: VL Frameworks and Groups

Post by dianejoester » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi Joe,

Most of these Frameworks and Groups would have come from imports that did not exclude all Frameworks and Groups from the exporting system.
All but the system flagged Frameworks and Groups can be safely deleted from LANSA for i if you are not referencing them.

They can be deleted via the LANSA for i development system Housekeeping Menu option "Create or change system partition definitions".
Select the required partition, press the Change function key and then on both the Framework and Group pages remove each unwanted Framework and Group by blanking out the entry (that means zeroes for the Identity number). The 5250 interface is not so friendly.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:19 am

I am struggling to find the option to manage the frameworks and groups in the 5250 interface.

I log in using DCXPGMLIB and execute `lansa partition(sys) developer(a)`

I then go the the Housekeeping Menu, Create or Change System Partition Definitions, Select the Partition, hit the change key F21 and I get this screen.
change partition.PNG
change partition.PNG (32.76 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
I don't see how to get to the Frameworks and Groups Pages.

The doc link here http://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa010/in ... _50047.htm tells me they are both maintained from the same screen, but does not tell me how to get there.

appbuilder

Post by appbuilder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 am

You'll need to hit ENTER 5 times to get to the Frameworks Details screen.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:32 am

lol, good grief I never would have figure that out.

I guess that's institutional knowledge of working with 5250 screens?

Thanks!