Email validation/masking in VL Web

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
dhnaigles

Email validation/masking in VL Web

Post by dhnaigles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 am

does anyone have a sample of telling VLWeb that a text box is an email address and validating that it is "correct"? WAMs have a way of doing this, but I cannot figure out a VL Web equivalent? Maybe a regular express? Has anyone done this and could you provide a sample? Thanks in advance
david

Stewart Marshall

Re: Email validation/masking in VL Web

Post by Stewart Marshall » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 am

v14.2 will have an isEmail intrinsic function.

Until then, the simplest solution is to create a widget with a simple JavaScript test using a regular expression.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

HMJust

Post by HMJust » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Question: What will the criteria for email validation be with the "isEmail" function?

I am asking because I spent some time with the specification for email addresses and as I recall, taken literally the RFC2822 allows for many things that we are not interested in normally - but which are valid.
I don't know what I am doing, nor how I did it. If it works, luck was involved :geek:

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:50 am

As I understand it, isEmail validates email addresses using criteria that approximate RFC2822.

It will cover the vast majority of email addresses.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au