Adding objects to an Export List

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
Kingston

Adding objects to an Export List

Post by Kingston » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 am

The LANSA menu option 10. Add all objects worked on under a task identifier(s) to list does not seem to do anything, No Tasks show up in the list to select. They do show up in the option 12. Work with Tasks so I know that LANSA knows about the tasks but for some reason doesn't show them for selection when creating an Export list.

One of the LANSA support guys suggested adding TASK_ID(xxxxxxxx) (where xxxxxxxx is my Task) to the LANSA command when starting the program but I tried that and it made no difference.

Anyone else had this problem and overcome it?

jyoung

Re: Adding objects to an Export List

Post by jyoung » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am

Is your task closed?

Kingston

Post by Kingston » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 pm

No. Does it need to be?

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Yeah, you can only export objects in a task that is closed.

Kingston

Post by Kingston » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm

OK I will try that on the next attempt. Can a Task be re-opened once I've closed it? I have deployed this one to Live but we will be modifying it soon under the same task so I don't want to close it if that is permanent.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Yeah you can reopen a closed task. When you change it to finished, it releases all the locks and you cannot change it back.

bark

Post by bark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi Guys
A bit late posting to this question but anyway...
Before proceeding to close a task, you should check out the doco for the various stages of the task lifecycle (Open, work, close, finish) so you understand what each stage means.
I found this section which should be helpful.
http://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa011/co ... 4_0225.htm
6.2.5 Typical Development Cycle Example
Following is an example of a typical development cycle that might be used with Full Task-Oriented Tracking with a LANSA for i Master System:

Just a comment regarding this line "I have deployed this one to Live but we will be modifying it soon under the same task so I don't want to close it if that is permanent."
The idea of closing the task is that you have completed the bit of work that you created this task for. When its deployed and live, you would finish the task and free all the objects worked under the task. A new bit of development would then use another task, and the cycle goes on.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 am

That's what we typically do here although we are having a problem with the deployment part using Save Files with a VLF-ONE app.

I had a really good conversion regarding tasks here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1185

Until I can push us into a VCS setup, a lot of what we do today is how Pierre described his workflow.