VLF-ONE Submitted Job Message

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

VLF-ONE Submitted Job Message

Post by jyoung » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 am

When submitting a job in VLF-ONE like

Code: Select all

submit process(CMGPYDProcess) function(CMGPYDEmail) exchange(#wk_CountryCode #wk_OfficeType #wk_OfficeNumber #wk_Date #wk_Packed2) jobq(QTBATCH)
A message is issued like
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.34 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
CMGPYD2 is the Function Identifier, but what is the 00000/LANSA part of the message?

Tim McEntee

Re: VLF-ONE Submitted Job Message

Post by Tim McEntee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 am

Hi

When a job is submitted via old RDML programs which are compiled into RPG the number contains the iSeries job number that has been submitted.

With submitting jobs via RDMLX C++ programs this number is not being picked up. Don't know why. Probably should be a bug fix.

Tim

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am

The submit operation is being made from RDML(X) code running on an IBM i server?

If yes, then the message should just be a copy of a message CPC1221 that IBM i operating system issued.

You can probably find the original message by looking in or at the job log of the job running the RDMLX code.

For example:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.84 KiB) Viewed 1295 times

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am

The 000000 and LANSA_ )followed by a space) seem a bit odd.
Is this submit made on a Windows server?

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 am

Yeah, I am running it locally right now on my Windows machine with the emulated Job Queue.

I noticed it before with on another VLF-ONE object and did not give it much thought. Just finishing up this object and I noticed the message again.

I was thinking it was the Job Number/USER/Function.

I was expecting 00001 for the Job Number and then 00002 for the next time it ran. When that did not happen I started questioning what that number was.

I did not think about the batch processing difference on the iSeries vs Windows since I am using the emulator.

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:32 am

I think that inside a submitted job (process) on a Windows server the system variable *JOBNBR is derived from the windows process number.
On an IBM i server it's the real operating system's job number.

So I think when you submit on Windows it just uses "000000" in an 'emulated' IBM i message because it does not know the Windows process number of what it just started. If you did this straight after the submit:

USE CLR_MESSAGES /* Clear any job submitted message */
MESSAGE "Your request to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has been submitted for processing."

then you could make up your own message so that your users never see the job submitted message, whether real or emulated.