IBM i Export / Import different EPC installed

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

IBM i Export / Import different EPC installed

Post by jyoung » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 am

I am trying to figure out a better / safer EPC upgrade path.

We install EPCs on our DEV iSeries and my LOCAL box and make sure all our stuff still works.

A problem comes up if I have to make an emergency update to PRODUCTION during this update / verification time period.

We move objects from DEV to PRODUCTION via Export / Import.

Is it possible export components compiled on the IBM i with a higher EPC (DEV) then what is installed on the IBM i (PRODUCTION) we will be importing into?

I think I saw Paul do this one on a support request once, but I am having trouble finding info about in the docs.

atostaine

Re: IBM i Export / Import different EPC installed

Post by atostaine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:18 am

I've never had a problem exporting/importing to different EPC level. You might not be able to deliver to or check in to production though.

Art
Art Tostaine

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:25 am

Hey Art,

Do you have to specify anything in your export list or set something when you import it?

You're right I can't talk to the production server once the EPC gets installed so that time period while we try to shake out the update is always nerve racking. :D

Thanks,
Joe

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 am

No I never did anything special. Note, for a while the EPC's would break the host monitor, but it's not always. :o

Export/import has to support lots of versions. I imagine some customers even have different versions running across systems.

I have a system at V14Sp1, EPC 141070 I can test with if you want me to import a dummy object. I have an older one available too.

PM or send via email art / rockridgetech.com
Art
Art Tostaine

lawingo

Post by lawingo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:41 am

We run the same scenario. I had v14 in DEV and v12 in PRD for 6 months or so before I could update Production. When promoting I did have some version differences but nothing I couldn't remove and re-compile.

bark

Post by bark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am

I recall when the guides actually stated that you should keep your dev box at the lowest level to avoid the situation where you introduce changes on the higher level that didn't then have the runtime support in the older production level. However, the recommendation these days (actually, more than a recommendation, more a requirement) is that everything is at the same level. Especially if you use deliver to from VL.
Perhaps you should consider a TEST/STAGING system that exactly matches the production level. Then you can apply updates/EPCs/application changes here and ensure everything is OK prior to applying the same to production. You can even do full upgrades on this system and test the app before upgrading production. Development could either be always at the same level as production (and upgraded together) or last to be upgraded/EPCed. That would cater for your emergency changes because LANSA supports upward compatibility (their old demo that was shipped until recently was compiled in V8.0 or something and could be executed in the newer versions). The important bit is that the TEST/STAGING system exactly matches the production level or else its not achieving what you desire (no surprises in production).