Lansa Editor on virtual machine

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
ahj_dk

Lansa Editor on virtual machine

Post by ahj_dk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi,

Do anyone have experience with the Lansa v14 (SP1) Editor on a virtual machine and performance ?

The new editor seems alot slower then v13 or v12
Regards
Allan Jakobsen
Futura Data A/S

HamadSheikh

Re: Lansa Editor on virtual machine

Post by HamadSheikh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:15 am

Any modern CPU i3, i5 or i7 4th+ generation will run the IDE well.
I will recommend at least 8GB ram in a development machine (more is much better) as the installed SQL Server Express database benefits from that.
SSD drives will also make things run much faster. You are correct, the new V14SP1 IDE does require more CPU than older versions, but it also has more features. What are the hardware specs of your VM and hosting machine?

ahj_dk

Post by ahj_dk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm not sure about the host, but the guest have there specs:

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 @ 2.4 GHz
Memory: 16Gb
Not sure about the disks.

I don't see alot of disk activity then using the Editor.

I have heard that the Editor uses 3D graphics, but it's not easy to get on a VM guest.
Regards
Allan Jakobsen
Futura Data A/S

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:43 pm

We use the IDE on a virtual machine regularly. The performance is really no different from running on a comparable stand alone PC/laptop, and I can assure you that the IDE has absolutely no need for any graphics handling beyond that of any normal Windows application.

With regards to disk activity, the IDE loads a lightweight view of the repository in to memory on startup. After that, disk access is only required when you open or save a component, or perform other database intensive actions such as compiling. The only exception to this is a timer that ticks periodically to check for changes to the repository which is a minuscule requirement.

So, when you say that it is "slower" than previous versions, can you be more precise as to what exactly is slower.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Where is your virtual machine physically located?

If it does not actually exist on your PC (ie: the PC your monitor is plugged into) then what are you using to access its desktop (eg: RDC, Citrix, etc)?

ahj_dk

Post by ahj_dk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:51 pm

@MarkD, it is on a dedicated vmware server, we connect via Remote desktop.

@Stewart, when typing source the editor is falling behind the typing, we see a huge difference from v13 to v14.
The fastest way to test it is create a new function, place the cursor at the top, and keep pressing "Enter".
in v13 the source is pushed down in at constant flow, in v14 it jumps and often halt after 15 rows and then take a large jump to the bottom.
Regards
Allan Jakobsen
Futura Data A/S

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:47 am

What is the comms path RDC needs to traverse to get to the VM server?
eg: 1GB LAN -versus- 4.5Mbs ADSL Internet connection.
Do you think that path could be a delay factor?

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:00 am

v13 and before used a Win32 memo in the source editor. This caused some minor issues as the remainder of the IDE uses DirectX rendering.

v14 introduced a DirectX source editor and SP1 included some performance improvements. However, we're aware that there is still room for improvement. The intent is to include this work as part of SP2.
Stewart Marshall

www.marshallfloyd.com.au

ahj_dk

Post by ahj_dk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:49 pm

@MarkD, I compare editor version on the same vm, so connection and "hardware" is exactly the same.

@Stewart, I see that VMware tools 10 (newest) support DirectX 10 (http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en ... notes.html), I don't know much about DirectX but is LANSA Editor v14 build to target a newer DirectX ?
Regards
Allan Jakobsen
Futura Data A/S

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:23 pm

As I said in my previous post, the vast majority of v13 was also DirectX, the exception being the source editor. The change for v14 was the introduction of a new DirectX source editor. In simple terms, we changed one control.

The issue you have reported is consistent with similarl issues we've encountered where the editor is not quite as responsive as we'd like it to be.

This issue as far as I'm aware is nothing to do with using VL on a virtual machine.
Stewart Marshall

www.marshallfloyd.com.au

HamadSheikh

Post by HamadSheikh » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:40 am

When you perform that test by creating a new Function and then pressing the Enter key, open the Windows Task manager and in the details tab sheet, sort by CPU. Do you see the LANSA.EXE process take up more than 45% cpu while running the test? I suspect you will see that. If you do, then the easiest way to really speed things up is to ask your Server person to turn OFF cpu hyperthreading on the hosting server. You will see an immediate improvement (>50% performance gain) after you've done that.

ahj_dk

Post by ahj_dk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm

@HamadSheikh, Thank you, it helped to disable Hyperthreading, I still see the 100% CPU spike, and the editor is faster, but still not as fast as the older v12 and v13.
Regards
Allan Jakobsen
Futura Data A/S

HamadSheikh

Post by HamadSheikh » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 am

See if you can get two more CPU cores added to your VM. That will also enhance the IDE performance, especially when you are checking in/out and compiling things.

craiggriffin

Post by craiggriffin » Fri May 03, 2019 12:34 am

Hi,

Was there any resolution on this?

We recently upgraded from V13SP2 to V14SP2.

Even after beefing up the VM to higher specs than the V13SP2 VM, the LANSA IDE is frustratingly slow.

Using Task manager, the IDE is always using 10%+ CPU (refreshing repository even though it is standalone ?).

The cursor moves at a snails pace inside the source editor.

Working mainly inside reusable parts, I'm now copying code into notepad++ to do my work.

Also:

The IDE takes much more time to launch (i can live with that).

Restarting the IDE helps , so maybe this is a memory leak issue .

Craig.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Fri May 03, 2019 1:11 am

I have this all the time on my 16gig I7 7th gen. All SSD. Just hitting the space bar will cause the IDE to pause. I tried to show Hamad this but as soon as he logged on to my PC it was OK. I didn't bother trying to show him again.

Recently a customer bought two new high end machines, SSD, lots of memory, etc, and the IDE was running pretty good. I've noticed now it's slowing down more and more. Almost like a a database reorg or something might help.

Art
Art Tostaine

dhnaigles

Post by dhnaigles » Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 am

I regularly have to reboot my Terminal Services (Remote Desktop) server. It seems that multiple users over time will use memory that does not seem to release when they leave VL.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 am

dhnaigles wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 am
I regularly have to reboot my Terminal Services (Remote Desktop) server. It seems that multiple users over time will use memory that does not seem to release when they leave VL.
Hamad is gone. Unless you get a call from Australia you'll have to keep rebooting forever.
Art Tostaine