Loading an other file containing a '.' in the name

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
davidbalansa

Loading an other file containing a '.' in the name

Post by davidbalansa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 am

Hi group,

I have a legacy application on the IBM i with a file defined with the name 'AB.CDEF'.

In LANSA, when I attempt to 'Import Table from IBM i' I get an error 'Table name is invalid. It contains blanks on invalid characters'.

I thought I could get around the issue by creating a copy of the file called ABXCDEF and import this file definition. Then in my server routine use the POINT command to point ABXCDEF to AB.CDEF. This gives an error in the IDE 'AB.CDEF is not a valid name'. Reading the documentation it indicates that on the IBM i the '.' can be used to separate the file and library in the TO_FILE parameter of the POINT command.

Has anybody encountered this issue and found a way to access the file in LANSA?

Regards,
David

KevinW

Re: Loading an other file containing a '.' in the name

Post by KevinW » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

Try using the Permanent File Override facility. There may even be an example of overriding a file with a '.' in the name.

As you have found, using POINT (which you would have to do for every use of the file in your code) is pretty pointless. :)

bark

Post by bark » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am

An 'old but gold' issue.
As KevinW says, use the PERMFILOVR. Its still in the LANSA documentation if you search for it.
I recall that this tip on the web site covers the steps to do
https://www.lansa.com/support/tips/t0261.htm
cheers
bark

davidbalansa

Post by davidbalansa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:15 am

I located the documentation at:

https://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa010/c ... ugubh_0020

Reading now. Looks exactly what I need.

Thanks