SP1 changes - issues

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
avescovi

SP1 changes - issues

Post by avescovi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Good morning everyone,

I am reporting some issues/changes appear with the SP1 upgrade:

1) #SYS_WEB.Close no longer supported, what is the new way to do it?

2) #FieldName.ShowError no longer supported.

3) #PRIM_LIST.Column no longer supported. Now, how is it possible to build a collection of columns as before?
PrimList.Column.PNG
PrimList.Column.PNG (3.9 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
4) What about the cache management? Before the SP1, after a new release of a RP the old one was still visualized (whithout an explicit cache clean-up in the browser).

Then, some questions not directly concerning the SP1

5) How can we show the description in a column related to a picklist item? In windows (if I am not wrog) is possible setting the usepicklist(true) option.
In the example below, the first column has to show the value shown in the focused field.
usepicklist.png
usepicklist.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
6) How can we set the error message on other fields than the inputbox (eg. picklist, number fields,...), as shown in the example below?
msg.png
msg.png (5.36 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Thank you,

Andrea

Stewart Marshall

Re: SP1 changes - issues

Post by Stewart Marshall » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:15 am

Hi Andrea

In order

1 - Sys_web.close, which was little more than a wrapper around the JavaScript equivalent, had very limited capabilities and didn't work at all in some browsers. Rather than leave the feature in the product that could only work in a very limited way, it was removed.

Closing a browser window is really the responsibility of the user.

Please let us know how you'd used #sys_web.Close so that we can offer alternatives.

2 - The ShowError property should never have been available for the web runtime and would cause a runtime failure if used.

3 - The ability to define a keyed collection of an abstract class using the default Style(Factory) was a bug in v14. The syntax implies that the moment the code refers to the collection instance, if it doesn't exist, it should be created.

Correct usage is to change the Style property to Collection (http://docs.lansa.com/14/EN/LANSA016/PR ... _Style.htm)

Code: Select all

Define_Com Class(#prim_kcol<#Prim_list.Column #WRK_Collection_key_n>) Name(#Columns) Style(Collection)
If the collection is simply a list with numeric access to the items, you can also use an Array Collection (http://docs.lansa.com/14/EN/LANSA016/PRIM_ACOL.htm)

Define_Com Class(#prim_acol<#Prim_list.Column>) Name(#Columns)
4 - Cache behaviour depends on a number of features. For production systems, where the URL does NOT have Developer=Yes, a change to a reusable part requires that you compile the main page as well to ensure that a new cache manifest is created. These threads should help

http://vlforum.lansa.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=74
http://vlforum.lansa.com.au/viewtopic.p ... t=47&p=135

5 - Embedded visualization are not supported in Prim_list. Instead, Prim_list allows reusable parts to be embedded as a cell. This is a little more work for simple cases, but is a far more flexible and powerful technique.

The xDemoWebDataEntry sample demonstrates the technique. xDemoWebDataEntryGrade is the embedded reusable part.

6 - Error state can only be attached to fields today. This is a work in progress targetted for SP2.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for your very detailed answer.

I still have a couple of questions for you:

About the point 3) (now it works): I use it in order to export a list as a .csv file, but I still have the column-title issue reported some month ago.

#column.ColumnCaption 
In particular, it returns only the title of the columns with the property ColumnCaptionType set to 'Caption' (using a multilingual variable).
Columns with this property set to 'Description' return a blank value.

point 4)
I read about your cache management, but in our specific case, also compiling the main page we still got the old RP.
Note that the RP was not a direct child of the main page but the n-th child of one of its RPs.

In any case I will try the same scenario with the SP1.

Thank you
Have a nice day,

Andrea

dannyoorburg

Post by dannyoorburg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi Andrea,

am I correct in understanding that you see different behavior regarding caching but it is now actually CORRECT in SP1?

There are some fixes in SP1 that assure that a recompile of the WebPage should ALWAYS result in a refresh of all compiled RDMLX, with or without cache manifest. I hope that that's what you're seeing :)

Regards,
Danny

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi Danny,

With SP1 I have not yet tried the specific case, but works what I rebuilt so far ;)

Thank you

Andrea

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Danny,

the new caching management seems to work ;)

What about the column title (point 3 of my last post)?

Regards

Andrea