VL-Web/VLF-One/WAM Multi-tier Installation using IBM iSeries

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
nick.diama

VL-Web/VLF-One/WAM Multi-tier Installation using IBM iSeries

Post by nick.diama » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi all,

We are using LANSA V14 SP2, EPC 142010.

Is it possible to setup an IBM i Front-End Web Server that through its listener will retrieve data from an IBM i Back-End Data/Application Server?
I can see that this is a valid option when having a Windows-IIS/Linux-Apache Front-End Web Server that through its listener retrieves data from a Windows/IBM i Back-End Data/Application Server.

What should be the extra configuration steps that we have to take in order for MOD_VLWEB.SRVPGM to function properly?
Should we add definitions to MOD_VLWEB data area residing in COMLIB?
Should we add definitions to httpd.conf?
Should we replicate the IFS structure to IBM i Web Server so that it can serve static & .js files (x_lansa subdirectory)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

dianejoester

Re: VL-Web/VLF-One/WAM Multi-tier Installation using IBM iSeries

Post by dianejoester » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:34 am

Hi Nick,

Multi-tier (Model B) for V14 web applications is only available using Windows or Linux web servers connected to the IBM i.

regards,
Diane

nick.diama

Post by nick.diama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi Diane,

Are you implying that all the LANSA customers that right now have a multi-tier setup, with both front-end and back-end server being IBM i Servers will be forced in LANSA V14 to discard one of their IBM i Server?

What about the notion of upgrading an existing V13 with IBM i Front-End / IBM i Back-End Installation το V14?

Regards,
Nick.

dianejoester

Post by dianejoester » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Nick,

You definitely do not need to change anything for existing web applications when upgrading to LANSA V14, they can continue to use an IBM i Web Server tier in a multi-tier setup. To be clear, all web applications built with pre-V14 web technologies will continue to support the use of an IBM i web server for multi-tier setup, you will not be required to remove the IBM i web server tier.

My reply was speaking of web applications built using new LANSA V14 web technology. These web applications must use either a Windows or Linux web server for multi-tier setup. This was the question that you appeared to be originally asking.

regards,
Diane

nick.diama

Post by nick.diama » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Diane,

So, an existing multi-tier IBM i series setup can be upgraded to V14, can be functional for pre-V14 existing web applications, but at the same time, that existing multi-tier IBM i series setup, cannot be used for modern V14 VL-Web / VLF-One applications?

Any customer having an existing multi-tier IBM i series setup cannot use it to deploy modern V14 VL-Web / VLF-One applications?

No workaround for such cases?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,
Nick

dianejoester

Post by dianejoester » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Nick,

No, there is not a workaround available.
Your pre-V14 web applications can also use a Windows or Linux web server for multi-tier with an IBM i application tier, so this could be considered as an option. This might also offer better security and performance.

regards,
Diane