How to turn OFF Windows UAC in Windows 10

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
HamadSheikh

How to turn OFF Windows UAC in Windows 10

Post by HamadSheikh » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am

It looks like sliding the UAC slider bar to the bottom is no longer enough. You now need to make a Registry change too:

In the Windows registry (regedit.exe), locate :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

Find the node "EnableLUA" and set it's value to a zero "0"

Reboot the machine and UAC is now effectively OFF.

Note that in a corporate Domain environment, these settings can be reset via the domain policies settings without the users knowledge.

More on this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... ersecurity

JamesDuignan

Re: How to turn OFF Windows UAC in Windows 10

Post by JamesDuignan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi Hamad,

LANSA does not require, nor recommend, the switching off of the User Account Control.

User Account Control is a security feature to help prevent unauthorized changes to Windows and should be left on.

Regards,
James

HMJust

Post by HMJust » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Also, though it may be off-topic, there is a good reason to consider the UAC setting binary; as either on or off (with a number of values for off), as described in https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnew ... 0/?p=94105
I don't know what I am doing, nor how I did it. If it works, luck was involved :geek:

VLNinja70

Post by VLNinja70 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:42 am

Yeah the slider bar is not what it used to be :(
You can also jump into the local security policy settings and change User Account Control: Run all admins in admin approval mode to On and Detect application installs and prompt to OFF.

James is right though, at least in V13 and V14 you don't need to turn it off.
However, installing V12 with UAC on with give you some trouble if you are on 8.1 or 10.
But you'll only need it off for the install, its best to put it back on when you're done.