VLF-ONE Script Error on Debug with Breakpoint

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

VLF-ONE Script Error on Debug with Breakpoint

Post by jyoung » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 am

I am trying to debug a complex eventing problem but I keep getting a script error.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.14 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
I have a "base" command handler extends #VF_AC010O and collects up all the controls on the window and signals a "FieldChanged" event when one of those controls change.

The error references line 143, which is a signal event line. At first I thought it was the FrameworkManager hence the null check.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (8.1 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Here is the interesting part.
The location refers to CMGCCPDetailsCommand, but it is ACTUALLY the base command. Line 143 of the CMGCCPDetailsCommand is a Row definition for a layout.

The error DOES NOT happen when running normally.
The error DOES NOT happen when running in debug.

The error DOES happen when running in debug AND a breakpoint is set. The breakpoint does not have to be on that specific line, it could be any line in the base command.

The whole reason I was trying to debug it was to get call stack of when the event "FieldsChanged" event fires. For some reason its firing when it should not be.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what could be going on here?

dannyoorburg

Re: VLF-ONE Script Error on Debug with Breakpoint

Post by dannyoorburg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi Joe,

I can only reply to the debugging crash, not your reason for debugging in the first place :)

The crash is a bug in the LANSA runtime's debugging module.

It is trying to capture the current callstack and the state of all variables in the active scope so it can send it to the Editor to display in its CallStack/Variables Tab.

BUT it crashes while trying to get the name ('nm') of one of the variables, I don't know why.

I don't think there's much that you can do, except maybe by process of elimination trying to find out what variable is causing you grief (and report it to LANSA as a bug).

Cheers,
Danny

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:31 am

Hey Danny,

Through logs of logging / tracing and process of elimination :), I figured out what is going on. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1925

Regarding the debugging crash, it sounds like ya'll are aware of the issue. Thought it was some bizarre thing I was doing, which is always a possibility. :roll:

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 am

Joe: Don't you find debugging events difficult? Extra events can be fired when focus is lost to go to the IDE and back.

Art
Art Tostaine