Screen designs

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
Fromm603

Screen designs

Post by Fromm603 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 am

So I am trying to design and code a fairly simple set of screens, almost like the VLF-ONE example for orders, except, I need the order line detail.
So an instance list to select orders for a customer, once the order is clicked, I want to show header and detail (the detail being a subfile, IBM i term). So is the subfile of order detail another instance list? Or is there another technique for that?
If anyone knows of an example they could point me to that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

jyoung

Re: Screen designs

Post by jyoung » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 am

It sounds like you are trying to drill down into Orders -> Order Details & Order Lines -> Order Line Details.

Order Details and Order Lines can all be shown in the Commands for the Order Instance, i.e. one command for Details, one command for Lines.
Where you will run into a problem is when you want to drill down further.

You could switch to a different object like "Order Line Detail". That object could have a hidden instance list, or no instance list at all and have its own set of commands. From the user's perspective this opens a new window that would contain the Order Line Details.

This causes a problem however when the currently selected Order is changed. Because you switched to a different object, you would either have to close the Order Line Details or reload it. Neither of which are hard to pull off, you just need to look into the event signalling service at https://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa048/i ... 8_0850.htm.

My suggestion would be to look into creating another object and the avSwitch method on the avFrameworkManager at https://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa048/i ... 8_1690.htm

Look at the Example Applications / Advanced / Switch and Signal examples.

Hope this helps,
Joe