LANSA V14SP2 IDE crashes when scrolling through source code

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
LANSAfolks

LANSA V14SP2 IDE crashes when scrolling through source code

Post by LANSAfolks » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:25 am

Using V14SP2 EPC142040, in a Network Client install. When scrolling through source code aggressively, the IDE crashes with a LANSA.DMP error. Anyone else experience the same issue in LANSA V14SP2?
Attachments
IDE Crash.png
IDE Crash.png (51.19 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

Dino

Re: LANSA V14SP2 IDE crashes when scrolling through source code

Post by Dino » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 am

while not specific to LANSA, I have seen that error recently after a windows update...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... f45fa4d1c4

and points to .net framework installation damaged somehow after the latest windows update.
try repairing windows update, .net framework etc.

adale

Post by adale » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:11 am

This has always been a problem in my Lansa IDE, even now in V15.
I find that it mostly happens when I am trying to troubleshoot an issue, and have switched between different active windows (such as web browser, or green screen) and back to the Lansa IDE and quickly trying to scroll.
Not sure if this is a Lansa or Windows issue, but I try to click in the Lansa source to let it orientate itself and then scroll to try to help mitigate this.

LANSAfolks

Post by LANSAfolks » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:23 am

Thanks Guys, I have also resorted to scrolling through source code very gently to avoid the IDE crash for now. After each scroll, I wait for the CPU usage to settle down before the next scroll. It is frustrating, but at least I have a workaround.

Interesting to note that there is a CPU usage spike associated to this source code scrolling, which means the LANSA IDE gets busy processing the newly displayed source code, which can only mean that the issue lies within LANSA and not .NET Framework? Especially since it works OK when scrolling very slowly i.e. one page-down per 5 seconds.

Dino

Post by Dino » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:56 am

Is the hard disk an SSD?
Certainly the IDE uses the sql database intensively and if the machine is not fast enough, windows processes can turn unresponsive.

Speedlime

Post by Speedlime » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 pm

In V15 the IDE crashes more than in previous versions. Just cut and paste to different parts of the code might cause it, or closing the source while it is running the compile. Not to mention working with the API definition tab, error's out when editing the options in there with great consistency. Not sure if it is Windows, VPN or if the QA is just not there anymore. Support cannot always reproduce it so it is difficult one to fix.

Theo de Bruin

Post by Theo de Bruin » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:04 am

I would advise you to upgrade to V15, plus all the latest EPC's , as there have been many changes
and improvements regarding working with properties of the the REST API's.

LANSAfolks

Post by LANSAfolks » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:08 am

I second what Theo stated. I've setup a V15 environment with the latest EPC's and loaded a large (>50K) object repository and submitted large compile sets (over 1000 compiles per et) and it's been rock solid. All the compiles completed as expected on a single IDE session that ran over the weekend. Therefore, my confidence level is much higher, using V15 with EPC's.