Audit of Import in VL?

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
LANSAfolks

Audit of Import in VL?

Post by LANSAfolks » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 am

Hi Guys, I was wondering if there was a way to audit when an import is run within a VL partition? Say I create a QuickExport from Partition DEM and then import it into Partition DEX. Is there a way I can check:

1. When was this import run?
2. Who ran the import?
3. What objects were imported?
4. Were the objects imported successfully?

I know there is an active log that gets generated, but that gets overwritten as soon as another import gets run. Perhaps those logs should also have a datetime stamp on the import file name, for future reference? In any case, this would be very useful information to keep a check on what actions were performed within a LANSA partition/environment. Since all development now happens on the VL side, such tools/features would be very useful for LANSA developers.

Theo de Bruin

Re: Audit of Import in VL?

Post by Theo de Bruin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:44 am

In LANSA V14 SP2 and LANSA V15 , each import is recorded separately into a log file named IMPORT_nn.LOG
(where nn is a sequential number ) and is placed into the subdirectory ..\x_win95\x_lansa\x_ppp\importlogs\

the log file itself starts with

Object Import Facility Started 10-10-19 21:47:09 (21:47:09.887251)
This procedure is being logged into file C:\LANSA\V14SP2\X_WIN95\X_LANSA\x_DEM\importlogs\Import_67.log (21:47:09.887597)

The objects are mentioned in the details (2)

and the log file ends with

Object Import Facility Ended 10-10-19 21:47:12. 0 fatal errors were detected. 0 warnings were issued. (21:47:12.151135)

so that answers your points 1,2, and 4

Currently you can not see the exact user (point 3), but you do can find the owner , so in my case that is the Administrators group,
you can check with the security tab details of the import file.

You may contact your local support and ask For an Enhancement Request to include the user details also into the log file details,
if that will be helpful for you.

LANSAfolks

Re: Audit of Import in VL?

Post by LANSAfolks » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:01 am

Thanks Theo, this will be useful for us going forwards. Hopefully LANSA monitors this forum and will consider all the enhancements that we discuss and propose in here.