Apple M1 Mac run IDE

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
atostaine

Apple M1 Mac run IDE

Post by atostaine » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 am

So the new Mac doesn't have Intel hardware. You can only run an ARM version of Windows 11 as a VM. Tried to install LANSA on it and the SQL Server install fails. I submitted an incident but I don't think there are any people left working there.

Can the IDE run on Linux? I have several options for a linux VM. Is the IDE reliable under Linux?
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Re: Apple M1 Mac run IDE

Post by atostaine » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:12 am

During the installing visual lansa step, I Get error -3, creating database. Error Message Microsoft ODBC driver 13 for Sql Server, Sql server network interfaces, error locting server/instance Specified
Art Tostaine

Dino

Post by Dino » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:01 am

Hi Art

While I haven't seen Windows 11 supported by LANSA yet in the official document here: https://lansa.com/downloads/support/ver ... tforms.pdf

and no idea what will happen when you try to install with an ARM version of Windows 11, (and I dont have any computer capable of running Windows 11 yet)... you still not there. Part of the LANSA installation is running an automated script (like a robot) to install MS SQL EXPRESS and any unexpected situation could make it fail the installation of MS SQL EXPRESS and not allowing you to later create the database needed for LANSA. (like when the autopilot program of some car crashes in parked emergency vehicles)

The solution to solve this part, is just to install MS SQL before installing LANSA, and when installing LANSA, select the database you already created.
In case the problem is creating the odbc connection, go one step ahead and manually create the odbc connection, test it, then install LANSA and indicate to use that odbc connection.

The installer for MS SQL EXPRESS is in the LANSA installer folder, \setup\Installs\MSSQLEXP

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:20 am

Hi Dino: I’ve been searching and trying multiple things like you’ve suggested. I even found some info in the Parallels forum (the software that runs the windows 11 VM) to try to install sql server, then apply MS Cum update, reinstall,etc

FYI: I upgraded win 10 to 11 on my intel laptop and lansa continues to work just fine.
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 am

The more googling I do the more I learn sql server just isn’t going to run.

Some are suggesting running azure sql in a docker natively on M1 Mac (though it’s not supported) .

I should be able to point the Lansa install to that server. I’m sure lansa doesn’t support that either but it’s worth a try.
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:43 am

I've got it working now. SQL Server Express 2014 runs fine on Windows ARM.

So setup is:

Apple M1 Mac
Big Sur OS
Parallels Desktop (VM Software $99 a year, pricey)
Windows 11 ARM
Install Sql Server 2014 SP1
During Install, point LANSA and let it use SQL Server 2014

I'm compiling everything and will test runtime apps later.
Art Tostaine