Simple data transfer IBMi - > MSSQL ?

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
Jiri

Simple data transfer IBMi - > MSSQL ?

Post by Jiri » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:52 am

VL and especially version management is primary designed for development and testing on local PC. Our typical database environment is IBMi. There is no problem to create / compile LANSA files in both databases (IBMi and MS/SQL), but for testing a data are required (which are in IBMi only).
Do you have any idea how to manage simple data replication IBMi -> MSSQL (the same LANSA file) for testing purposes?
It could be possible to write some superserver logic for each file (connect server, read to list, connect local insert..., but it requires special coding for each file and modification after file changes, which is not a good way.

kno_dk

Re: Simple data transfer IBMi - > MSSQL ?

Post by kno_dk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Jiri.

If you are at V14 you have an option if you right mouse button on a file in the repository to "copy file data from IBM I". You have to have the library in you library list on the user you log on to the LANSA IDE.

I am going to test this later today.

/Klaus

kno_dk

Post by kno_dk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi

I have just tested it. It fails. The job log is not giving me much to go after. I was not able to find much about it in the doc's, so maybe some from LANSA could tell us what it is for and a link to find more info about this option.

/Klaus

Jiri

Post by Jiri » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 pm

I have V14 EPC 14100 and I have no option like this visible, so I cannot test it. But I remember, it was mentioned as some enhancement request sheduled to V14. It is refered by this topics:
http://docs.lansa.com/140/EN/lansa801/i ... light=copy
but the link aim to repository synchronisation, which is another part.

dhnaigles

Post by dhnaigles » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 am

To Transfer the data, you must:
1. create the file in MSSQL Just compile the file definition in VL and make sure you check the boxes to recreate the table and logicals
2. Refresh your file master objects so that VL knows the file exists on the IBMi
3. Then you can find the right click option to copy the data.

This worked perfectly well for me.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:08 pm

Are you using a VCS or Slave setup?

We had that option when we were setup as a Slave, but since moving to VCS it does not show up.

We can "Load Other Files" from the IBM i and use "Deliver To" to deploy updates, but the "Copy Data" option is not available for us as well.

Jiri

Post by Jiri » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:08 am

I already had the files compiled on both sides, but the Refresh repository was the key!
It works and I am able to replicate data. I still have NL character conversion problem, but it can be wrong settings, I will consult it with local support.
Thanks for your advice!