Encryption Web

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
avescovi

Encryption Web

Post by avescovi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi,

I need to encrypt some information client-side, send them to the server and decrypt them.
I am using the encrypt function on the client:

Code: Select all

#encrypted  := #varXY.Encrypt(#myKey)
but I am not able to recover my data using the Decrypt Built-in function on the server-side

Use Builtin(DECRYPT) With_Args(#encrypted 16 #myKey YES) To_Get(#decrypted #RETCODE)
Where am I wrong?
The idea is to be able also to do the transmission in the opposite direction, hence encrypt server-side and decrypt client-side.

Thanks

Andrea

dannyoorburg

Re: Encryption Web

Post by dannyoorburg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi,

for the DECRYPT bif to match the Encrypt intrinsic, make sure the length is specified correctly.
It needs the expected number of bytes, which is half the length of the (hexadecimal) encoded string that came from the client.

Use Builtin(DECRYPT) With_Args(#STD_STRNG (#STD_STRNG.CurChars / 2) "A234567890123456" 'Yes') To_Get(#STD_STRNG)
Note:
If you're reading this after 14 SP1 has been released, you'll be able to use the Encrypt/Decrypt intrinsics on both Client and Server.

Danny

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:32 pm

What sort of computer are you executing the Use Builtin(DECRYPT) With_Args(#encrypted 16 #myKey YES) To_Get(#decrypted #RETCODE) on?

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Danny,
Hi MarkD,

Thank you ;)

I tried your approach but still not working.
I provide you exactly my example:

Client

#myString := 'hello'
#encrypted := #myString.Encrypt( '1jd7RME984jnBGol' )
Where #myString is a #STD_STRING, and the encrypted string computed has value: 'D70FE402154340B5'

Then, in the Server side ( MarkD the Builtin function is running on IBM i )

Use Builtin(DECRYPT) With_Args(#encrypted (#encrypted.CurChars / 2) '1jd7RME984jnBGol' YES) To_Get(#decrypted #RETCODE)
The decrypted value is: ']R4٦݌É' . Not at all my starting string.

I also tried to encrypt and decrypt the string ('hello') with the builtin function only (Server-side):

#myString := 'hello'
Use Builtin(ENCRYPT) With_Args(#myString (8) '1jd7RME984jnBGol' YES) To_Get(#crypted #RETCODE)
Use Builtin(DECRYPT) With_Args(#crypted (#crypted.CurChars / 2) '1jd7RME984jnBGol' YES) To_Get(#decrypted #RETCODE)
Crypted value: '5411CB87F874B0F6'
Decrypted valude: 'hello'

As we can see, in this second example the crypted value doesn't match at all with the client-side crypted value.
Someone of you has other suggestions for me?

Andrea

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:46 pm

IBM i is an EBCDIC system - the client side encrypted data would be ASCII (or UTF8).

So after decryption you need to convert to EBCDIC?

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm

You could try these as a quick confirmation - noting they are limited to things <= 256 characters:

* ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mthroutine Name(ConvertToEBCDIC)
Define_Map For(*input) Class(#prim_alph) Name(#Input)
Define_Map For(*Result) Class(#prim_alph) Name(#Output)

* Defined as fields because they are used as a 3GL interface
Define Field(#QDC_CONVERT_TO_ASCII) Type(*CHAR) Length(10) Default(QASCII)
Define Field(#QDC_CONVERT_TO_EBCDIC) Type(*CHAR) Length(10) Default(QEBCDIC)
Define Field(#QDC_TABLE_Library) Type(*CHAR) Length(10) Default(QSYS)
Define Field(#QDCX_TempLength) Type(*DEC) Length(5) Decimals(0) Default(256)
Define Field(#QDCX_TempWorkString) Type(*char) Length(256)

#QDCX_TempWorkString := #Input

Call Pgm(QDCXLATE) Parm(#QDCX_TempLength #QDCX_TempWorkString #QDC_CONVERT_TO_EBCDIC #QDC_TABLE_Library) Num_Len(*DEFINED)

#Output := #QDCX_TempWorkString

Endroutine

* ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mthroutine Name(ConvertToASCII)
Define_Map For(*input) Class(#prim_alph) Name(#Input)
Define_Map For(*Result) Class(#prim_alph) Name(#Output)

#QDCX_TempWorkString := #Input

Call Pgm(QDCXLATE) Parm(#QDCX_TempLength #QDCX_TempWorkString #QDC_CONVERT_TO_ASCII #QDC_TABLE_Library) Num_Len(*DEFINED)

#Output := #QDCX_TempWorkString

Endroutine

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:03 pm

Watching the variables value in debug mode, still not working also converting the decrypted string in EBCDIC

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:10 pm

What about your key? eg: If you use ASCII key "abc" on the client to encrypt you would need to convert EBCDIC key "abc" (on the server) to ASCII before passing to to the decryption routine. You'd probably also need to be careful that the key lengths are exactly the same - maybe use something declared as *char 16 and completely fill it up?

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:35 pm

I have to try.

Now I am working for understand why the encryption - client and server side - provide two different hex string using the same same key and the same starting text (as written in my second post after your reply)

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:00 am

Could you post the code or code fragments you are using on the client and the server? Please include the part that sets up the encryption key.

dannyoorburg

Post by dannyoorburg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi,

the only way I can get it all to be consistent, Client/Server(Windows/IBM i), is to make sure I use Unicode fields for both KEY and VALUE when invoking the BIFs.

I've attached a QuickExport with my test case:
- a Web Page called MYPAGE
- a Server Module called MYSRVM

The key to it is the Server Module code:

Begin_Com Role(*EXTENDS #PRIM_SRVM)

Define Field(#ENCRYPTION_KEY) Type(*NVARCHAR)
Define Field(#ORIGINAL_VALUE) Type(*NVARCHAR)
Define Field(#ENCRYPTED_VALUE) Type(*VARCHAR)

Srvroutine Name(ENCRYPT)
Field_Map For(*INPUT) Field(#ORIGINAL_VALUE) Parameter_Name(OriginalValue)
Field_Map For(*OUTPUT) Field(#ENCRYPTED_VALUE) Parameter_Name(EncryptedValue)

Dowhile (#ORIGINAL_VALUE.CurSize.Mod( 8 ) *NE 0)
#ORIGINAL_VALUE += " "
Endwhile

#ENCRYPTION_KEY := '1jd7RME984jnBGol'

Use Builtin(ENCRYPT) With_Args(#ORIGINAL_VALUE #ORIGINAL_VALUE.CurSize #ENCRYPTION_KEY YES) To_Get(#ENCRYPTED_VALUE)

Endroutine

Srvroutine Name(DECRYPT)
Field_Map For(*INPUT) Field(#ENCRYPTED_VALUE) Parameter_Name(EncryptedValue)
Field_Map For(*OUTPUT) Field(#ORIGINAL_VALUE) Parameter_Name(OriginalValue)

#ENCRYPTION_KEY := '1jd7RME984jnBGol'

Use Builtin(DECRYPT) With_Args(#ENCRYPTED_VALUE (#ENCRYPTED_VALUE.CurSize / 2) #ENCRYPTION_KEY YES) To_Get(#ORIGINAL_VALUE)

Endroutine

End_Com
The Web Page is just a little tester:

Begin_Com Role(*EXTENDS #PRIM_WEB) Layoutmanager(#TableLayout1)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO) Name(#TableLayout1)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Column) Name(#Column1) Displayposition(1) Parent(#TableLayout1) Width(0.89)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Column) Name(#Column2) Displayposition(2) Parent(#TableLayout1) Width(1.11)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Column) Name(#Column3) Displayposition(3) Parent(#TableLayout1)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Row) Name(#Row1) Displayposition(1) Parent(#TableLayout1)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem1) Alignment(TopCenter) Column(#Column1) Manage(#Label1) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Flow(Down) Sizing(FitToWidth) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem2) Alignment(TopCenter) Column(#Column1) Manage(#OriginalValue) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Sizing(FitToWidth) Flow(Down) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem3) Alignment(TopCenter) Column(#Column3) Manage(#Label2) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Flow(Down) Sizing(FitToWidth) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem4) Alignment(TopCenter) Column(#Column3) Manage(#EncryptedValue) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Sizing(FitToWidth) Flow(Down) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem5) Column(#Column2) Manage(#ButtonEncryptLocal) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Sizing(FitToWidth) Alignment(TopCenter) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10) Flow(Down)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem6) Column(#Column2) Manage(#ButtonDecryptLocal) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Sizing(FitToWidth) Alignment(TopCenter) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10) Flow(Down)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem7) Column(#Column2) Manage(#ButtonEncryptServer) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Sizing(FitToWidth) Alignment(TopCenter) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10) Flow(Down)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TBLO.Item) Name(#LayoutItem8) Column(#Column2) Manage(#ButtonDecryptServer) Parent(#TableLayout1) Row(#Row1) Sizing(FitToWidth) Alignment(TopCenter) Marginleft(10) Marginright(10) Margintop(10) Flow(Down)

Define_Com Class(#PRIM_PHBN) Name(#ButtonEncryptLocal) Caption('Encrypt Local') Displayposition(3) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Tabposition(4) Width(424) Height(30) Left(366)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_EDIT) Name(#OriginalValue) Displayposition(2) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Showselection(False) Showselectionhilight(False) Tabposition(6) Top(61) Width(336)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_LABL) Name(#Label1) Caption('Original Value') Displayposition(1) Ellipses(Word) Height(41) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Tabposition(8) Tabstop(False) Verticalalignment(Center) Width(336)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_LABL) Name(#Label2) Caption('Encrypted Value') Displayposition(4) Ellipses(Word) Height(41) Left(810) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Tabposition(7) Tabstop(False) Verticalalignment(Center) Width(380)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_EDIT) Name(#EncryptedValue) Displayposition(5) Left(810) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Showselection(False) Showselectionhilight(False) Tabposition(5) Top(61) Width(380)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_PHBN) Name(#ButtonDecryptLocal) Caption('Decrypt Local') Displayposition(6) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Tabposition(2) Width(424) Height(30) Left(366) Top(50)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_PHBN) Name(#ButtonEncryptServer) Caption('Encrypt Server') Displayposition(7) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Tabposition(3) Width(424) Height(30) Left(366) Top(90)
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_PHBN) Name(#ButtonDecryptServer) Caption('Decrypt Server') Displayposition(8) Parent(#COM_OWNER) Tabposition(1) Width(424) Height(30) Left(366) Top(130)

Evtroutine Handling(#ButtonEncryptLocal.Click)

#EncryptedValue := #OriginalValue.Value.Encrypt( '1jd7RME984jnBGol' )
#OriginalValue := #BLANKS

Endroutine

Evtroutine Handling(#ButtonDecryptLocal.Click)

#OriginalValue := #EncryptedValue.Value.Decrypt( '1jd7RME984jnBGol' )
#EncryptedValue := #BLANKS

Endroutine

Evtroutine Handling(#ButtonEncryptServer.Click)
Define_Com Class(#MYSRVM.ENCRYPT) Name(#Encrypt)

#Encrypt.ExecuteAsync Originalvalue(#OriginalValue) Encryptedvalue(#EncryptedValue)
#OriginalValue := #BLANKS

Endroutine

Evtroutine Handling(#ButtonDecryptServer.Click)
Define_Com Class(#MYSRVM.DECRYPT) Name(#Decrypt)

#Decrypt.ExecuteAsync Encryptedvalue(#EncryptedValue) Originalvalue(#OriginalValue)
#EncryptedValue := #BLANKS

Endroutine

End_Com

Cheers,
Danny
Attachments
QuickExport Encryption.zip
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

avescovi

Post by avescovi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi Danny,

Thank you very much!
As you said, the problem was the unicode. It works as expected with NVARCHAR variables.

Have a nice day

Andrea