IDE Debugging

Please log all suggestions for improvements and enhancements to Visual LANSA here. All entries will be acknowledged and added to the list for possible inclusion in later releases of Visual LANSA.
soa

IDE Debugging

Post by soa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:40 pm

When debugging in the IDE (which is mostly fantastic) there are a couple of things that I'd like changed.

In the list of variables long variable names get shoved up at the top of the list rather than in their alphabetical position (this may be a case thing) where I would expect to find them.

Many of the programs I debug have pages of variables and I'm usually only interested in a handful often spread over several pages. I know that I can hide all the variables and then add them back one at a time by selecting from dialog of all the variable names but this is time consuming and not elegant. What I would like is to be able to right click on a variable, select it and have it appear in at the top of the variable list. This way all the variables I'm interested in would be in visible at a glance and the rest of the variables would be easily available if I need to refer to them.

Also when I've gone to the trouble of hiding all variables and and adding back the ones I care about when I've gone to debug the application a second time I find this has all been undone and I have to do it again which is frustrating.

What would also be nice is if I could see a variable's value by hovering the mouse over it!

andrewhiom

Re: IDE Debugging

Post by andrewhiom » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm

i agree that these would be very handy enhancements. pretty please, lansa!

on a (slightly) related note, when using the features view (F2), all events, properties and methods of an object are listed in alphabetical order, regardless of whether they are user defined or inherited from the primitive object.

it would be nice if those that are user defined were grouped at the top of the list, and/or provide some kind of visualisation that would denote them as such.

soa

Re: IDE Debugging

Post by soa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Definitely agree with that last point - user defined properties/methods are swamped under the inherited ones - many of which will rarely be used.