Features Window Enhancement

Please log all suggestions for improvements and enhancements to Visual LANSA here. Entries may be acknowledged and may be added to the list for possible inclusion in later releases of Visual LANSA.
jyoung

Features Window Enhancement

Post by jyoung » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:51 am

I've come to rely on using the F2 help (Features window) to explore an object I am using without resorting to opening the object. I find that it is easier to use the Feature window to explore an object than exploring with the prompter.

I think a couple things would make the Features window much more useful.
  • Display the Help and/or Desc text without having to mouse over it. Perhaps a small window at the bottom of the Features window that changed with the focus.
  • It would be very useful to see ServerModule srvroutines and their parameters (field_map, group_map, list_map) like you see with Reusable Parts. Currently ServerModules only show the Execute and ExecuteAsync methods.
I think both of these would help in the discovery of Routines and Properties without having the open the relevant object or use the prompter.

Stewart Marshall

Re: Features Window Enhancement

Post by Stewart Marshall » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Joe

I know we did some work in this area recently. I forget when specific features were introduced.

Looking in 14 SP1 with the latest EPCs, I can see the Desc parameter is shown in the second column of the feature viewer. Help is still shown as a hint.

Expanding the Execute and ExecuteAsync parameters shows the maps. The type of map is shown as a hint, which is a start. I suspect we can be a bit better than that though.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:37 am

I never saw that other column in the features window. Good to know.

Regarding the server modules, I see now the parameter maps in the Execute and ExecuteAsyncm that helps a lot. I think I was confused because I was expecting to see the name of the srvroutine not the Execute/Async methods.

Is there a way to see all the srvroutines in a ServerModule?

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 am

Once you have the feature viewer open for a Server Module, the Classes drop down at the top shows a complete list of all the routines
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.61 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au