Better Install Experience

Please log all suggestions for improvements and enhancements to Visual LANSA here. All entries will be acknowledged and added to the list for possible inclusion in later releases of Visual LANSA.
jyoung

Better Install Experience

Post by jyoung » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:25 am

I think it would be very beneficial to have a better install experience.

When installing on Windows 10 we having to install .NET 3.5 which requires executing the little known DISM command and having the Windows 10 install media.

Then to install Java you have to make sure you get the x64 version which is difficult to find on Oracle's site.

Then you have to deal with SQL Server. If not already installed, it requires a reboot in the middle of an install and it does not enable Named Pipes on the service so the install fails when trying to create the database. You are lucky if you can restart the service manually, but more often then not, that requires another reboot.

These are three prerequisites that need to be done BEFORE install should be attempted. People are getting new computers and having to go through this dance repeatedly. People get new computers or wipe out current computers etc. We should not have to call support every time we have to do an install.

I am trying not to sound negative, but it is a pretty frustrating experience.

Just my 2 cents.

anthony

Re: Better Install Experience

Post by anthony » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Joe,

The Visual LANSA install automatically installs .NET 3.5 if it detects that it’s not already installed. What is the reason for you installing it manually ?

Are you installing SQL Server manually or is it being installed through the Visual LANSA install ? The Visual LANSA install checks for any pending reboots if it knows that its creating a new SQL Server instance. This occurs prior to SQL Server being installed. If it detects a pending reboot, it prompts you to reboot and as soon as you log back into Windows the install will continue from where it left off.

In V14 SP1, when the install detects that Java is required it provides a link to the Java downloads page.

Regards,
Anthony.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 am

My experience with the installer is that it fails (crashes, closes etc.) when .NET 3.5 is not installed and the only way to continue is to get .NET 3.5 installed manually. I've also never had Windows 10 successfully install it through the "Turn Windows features on or off". I've always had to use the DISM command.

Regarding SQL Server, if I let the installer do install of SQL Server, it seemingly always reboots. The frustrating part there is not the installer picking back up where it left off, as it does. The problem is that when it gets to the creating of the database, it fails because it cannot talk to the data service it just installed. So now I am pretty much stuck, if I cannot restart the service to fix connectivity, then I have to reboot and restart the install. But before I do, I have to uninstall the previous install so I don't end up with two LANSA folders and 2 ODBC connections etc.

I do get the notification that Java is required and link to download.

Don't get me wrong, I love LANSA, as a web dev for the past 15 years (most in .NET) I understand the complexities of developing a SPA based web applications. But I am also used to installing my own software and frankly I compare it to other dev tools such as Visual Studio more than I should.

I know this is not the forum to log problems (already done that). All I am saying is that for a lot of devs, the installer is their first experience / introduction to LANSA, it should be as easy as possible to get going.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 pm

I've only seen the reboot problem. I googled it and I had to delete some file. I dont think it it was Lansa's problem though.
Art Tostaine