Managing panels on a web page

Please log all suggestions for improvements and enhancements to Visual LANSA here. All entries will be acknowledged and added to the list for possible inclusion in later releases of Visual LANSA.
soa

Managing panels on a web page

Post by soa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Its possible that I'm doing something wrong so bear with me. I'm writing applications that uses a single page contain multiple panels each acting like a page. I have a log on panel and home page panel etcetera. Each panel occupies the whole page and I'm using groovy transitions - all good. The problem I have is when I want to add a new panel I have to drag it onto the design surface but each panel is full screen using the layout manager of the page so anything I drag on becomes a sub panel. I find I have to go into each panel and change it's sizing so I have some blank space to drop the new panel onto the page then I have to go back and fix up the sizing on each of the panels. It would be great to have a way of adding a new panel without touching the old ones. I've though about doing it in code but then the layout parameters make this difficult.

Also once a panel is added to work with it I have to locate it with the outline then change its display its displayposition in details to 1 to make it come to the top. I then have to remember to put the real first page back again. It would be great to be able to work with these panels in a more natural manner.

Since all but the most trivial applications will require multiple panels within a single page application perhaps these need to be there own ControlType - WebPagePanel - with specialized behavior.

If I've missed something obvious I'll be happy to hear about it.

Stewart Marshall

Re: Managing panels on a web page

Post by Stewart Marshall » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Adding the DEFINE_COM in the source is a pragmatic approach. Once the DEFINE_COM is added and the Parent set, you can select the control in the Outliner and manage the layout using the ribbon as normal. However, this isn't really in the spirit of a WYSIWYG editor.

A second approach is to use a TabFolder with no tabs. Then it's simply a case of adding a new sheet whenever you want one. Again, this is a pragmatic solution, and it may suit some circumstances, but it means you can't use transitions and you have to create a layout for each sheet. Not really what you're after.

Perhaps the closest fit to your requirements is the small ribbon button we included in v14 GA. See attached image.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (25.48 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
This addresses the long lived issue of hiding invisible controls in the designer. All bar one of your panels should be Visible(False) at design time, so you need only change the visible one and use the toggle to hide invisible controls, and you should have access to the WebPage itself. As soon as you're done, you can change it back and it will appear again.

Hopefully this will simplify the issue a little more.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

soa

Re: Managing panels on a web page

Post by soa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks Stewart. I'll give that a try.