VLF-ONE Instance List / List Manager Suggestion

Please log all suggestions for improvements and enhancements to Visual LANSA here. All entries will be acknowledged and added to the list for possible inclusion in later releases of Visual LANSA.
jyoung

VLF-ONE Instance List / List Manager Suggestion

Post by jyoung » Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 am

This is related to this post http://vlforum.lansa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1361

I think it would be really useful to have the List Manager expose a "ItemGotSelection" event in same way that a PRIM_LIST does.
With that event would could pick up when the user changes their selection and do something with it. I am not suggesting a change to the current behavior of opening the command window just fire the event so we could pick it up.

If our specific case requires us to do something when the selection changes, we currently have to create a custom instance list and fire the event ourselves. This also means that we will likely have to create a custom "manager" object to pick up the event and do what ever logic is required.

I also think that custom instance list ancestors like #VF_AC012O should include avSignalEvent like filters and commands do.
If we have to create custom instance lists, it would be nice to be hook into the existing VLF event system. Since it does not expose avSignalEvent (at least I can't find it) and the instance list are disconnected from or loosely coupled to filters and commands, we have to create a custom manager object that can pick up those events and coordinate it back to the appropriate filter or command.

I think these two things could help reduce the need for a lot of event plumbing code and encourage a standard where you use the VLF event system to communicate with other VLF components (filters, commands etc.) and use the RDMLX event system to communicate between fields/components on a single form.