Deploying to an IBM i when using VCS

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
jyoung

Deploying to an IBM i when using VCS

Post by jyoung » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:58 am

We use a VCS setup and I need to deploy some objects to our IBM i.

Normally I use "Deliver To" to do this and it works great, except that I can only deliver a couple things at a time.

For example, if I have 1 web page, 3 reusable parts and 1 server module, I have to do 3 "delivers" (1 for the page, 1 for the parts and 1 for the module). The reason is that I while I can select multiple objects of the same type, I cannot select different types from the repository list.

I was hoping to use the Quick Export to collect everything and then import them manually on the IBM i with the Housekeeping menu, Import Objects. However, this appears to be just for save files, tapes or optical devices.

Are other people running into this? How are you handling deployments to an IBM i when using VCS?

The only other work around I have come up with is to create a static list and add the objects you need to deploy to that list. As long as you don't have any grouping in that list, then you CAN select everything and use "Deliver To".

It would be nice if the "Deliver To" window, did not take over control so that other objects could be added, a lot like the QuickExport window.

JamesDuignan

Re: Deploying to an IBM i when using VCS

Post by JamesDuignan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:45 am

Not being able to select multiple object types is a limitation of the repository browser in the IDE.

Having a dynamic or impact list will probably be an easier way to go. Using the Search and filters features of these will mean that any current objects that fit the criteria are added to the list automatically, as will any future development that fits the specified criteria. Set this as list as a favorite and you will be able browse it simply by using the Favorites tab.

Another option is, in the repository browser, right click an object you are wanting to deliver to the IBM i and select cross reference. From the cross reference pop up you can select multiple object types and perform deliver to by right clicking on one of the selected objects.

jyoung

Re: Deploying to an IBM i when using VCS

Post by jyoung » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:46 am

Did not think about using the cross references, will have to give that a try.

For now, I have settled on a "feature" list that I add things to and can deploy at once.

Thanks,
Joe