Storing Documents Created on IBMi Server in AWS S3

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
caseywhite

Storing Documents Created on IBMi Server in AWS S3

Post by caseywhite » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 am

Has anyone created a solution where you create documents on your IBMi server and then store them in AWS S3? We want to allow users to submit requests for downloads and make them available for a period of time. Rather than storing these documents on the IBMi server we would like to put them in S3 instead. The benefit is that they can be downloaded from S3 instead of from the application web server and the storage of them doesn't take up space on the IBMi.

We want to create a page where a user can see all the downloads available. That could either be a view directly from S3 that shows all their documents or we can just maintain some list of links to the S3 documents. I am open to either approach. We have thousands of users for the web application so each user would only have access to their documents.

Any thoughts on what others have done in the past is greatly appreciated.

petemcbride

Re: Storing Documents Created on IBMi Server in AWS S3

Post by petemcbride » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:05 am

Hi Casey,

We have done a lot of document imaging integration, would love to help

Regards,
PeteMcBride

wadhwani

Post by wadhwani » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:27 am

Casey

I am not sure if you saw this but take a look at the example put out by Lansa support as part of their last EPC

https://developer.lansa.com/amazon-s3-client-direct/

We currently have developed a VL web application where we store and retrieve documents from a blob column in a database table but as the volume of records in the db increase (over 10,000), I can see we are running into a problem with our replication software in syncing the table to our failover machine. I have not implemented the switch over to AWS S3 instead of a db table but will begin work on this shortly.

Gary

caseywhite

Post by caseywhite » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks Gary. I will review this.