VL WEB and performance

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
kno_dk

VL WEB and performance

Post by kno_dk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi.

I am building af web catalog with LANSA VL-WEB. I have some simpel list showing some information. I have now extended these list with some RP (eg favorite item and Yellow note) with some extra functionality. After I have added these RP I can see a decrease in performance when it builds the list. Without the RP the build of the list is pretty quick, but after it take some seconds to render the list. I am showing af spinning wheel and when i am finished i turn it off. But after the spinning wheel is turn off it takes nearly 5 seconds to show 20 entires in the list.

So is there anybody who have do's and don'ts when it is VL-web, Lists and RP?

thanks

Klaus

MarkD

Re: VL WEB and performance

Post by MarkD » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Have you tried tracing it with Fiddler?
I'd start there to get an understanding of what's happening when, and that nothing 'unexpected' is happening.
e.g. Each RP instance being created is hitting the server to fill a dop down, or some such expensive thing.

kno_dk

Post by kno_dk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi.

I have use the Fiddler and found that the interaction with the server is okay, no extra calls.

I have made a simple view which have 2 differen function. One with top 20 item bought (20 entries in list) and one with customers added favorites (50 entries in list). these 2 functionallities use the same list - defined like this:
Define_Com Class(#PRIM_TREE<#FDKItemListItemLayoutThin>) Name(#ThinEntry) Displayposition(1) Left(0) Parent(#Panel1) Tabposition(1) Top(35) Height(374) Width(700)

I add the enties to the list with add_entry Æthinentry

and when I switch between the 2 function i clear the list with clr_list Æthinentry. I have found that if I clear the list with the 20 entries it takes the browser around 2½ seconds and the one with 50 entries around 5 seconds.
I have added this before and after the clr_list - #SYS_WEB.Console.Log Text(#STD_DTIMX.now.AsDisplayString( TZ )) and that gave me this for the 50 entries:
before: 2020-06-23T08:57:00.370000000Z
after: 2020-06-23T08:57:05.548000000Z

Is there anybody having suggestion on how to improve performance?

/klaus

kno_dk

Post by kno_dk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi

I have a bit more info.

In this RP #FDKItemListItemLayoutThin I have 3 RP for favorite, sticky note and for orderentry. If I remove these RP for the RP #FDKItemListItemLayoutThin it is pretty fast showing the info in the list and clear the list.

Has anybody experince with the Scope and referance on RP regarding to performance?

/klaus