Any Microsoft 365 users?

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
atostaine

Any Microsoft 365 users?

Post by atostaine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:42 am

We have a VL-FORMS App that places an image into the Windows 10 %TEMP% directory so that a user can crop or rotate it before we save it to a BLOB.

All works good when we use a local Windows user. My customer is using Microsoft 365 which requires an email address to logon to the PC, and security is supposedly managed by Microsoft. The user has access to the %TEMP% dir when using file explorer.

I've submitted a support incident on this but I was wondering if anyone has seen similar problems?
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Re: Any Microsoft 365 users?

Post by atostaine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:15 am

We are using *TEMP_DIR which resolves to Windows 10 %TEMP%, which is

C:\Users\LoggedOnUserName\AppData\Local\Temp

I changed my code to use c:\temp but that didn't solve my issue. Support in Chicago has no previous incidents. I'd appreciate any ideas. The customer is migrating to Microsoft 365 logons. I'm sure there will be other companies coming.
Art Tostaine

caseywhite

Post by caseywhite » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 am

Hi Art. Have you tried to run the BIF OV_QUERY_SYS_INFO to see what comes back for TEMP_DIR and compare it to what *TEMP_DIR indicates. See link to the OV_QUERY_SYS_INFO doco.
https://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa015/c ... s_info.htm

Is the issue that LANSA thinks *TEMP_DIR is in a place that doesn't exist or is it that the user can't access the directory via LANSA.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:50 am

caseywhite wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 am
Hi Art. Have you tried to run the BIF OV_QUERY_SYS_INFO to see what comes back for TEMP_DIR and compare it to what *TEMP_DIR indicates. See link to the OV_QUERY_SYS_INFO doco.
https://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa015/c ... s_info.htm

Is the issue that LANSA thinks *TEMP_DIR is in a place that doesn't exist or is it that the user can't access the directory via LANSA.
Thanks Casey. It could be either one of those I guess. Is that an EPC Or known issue?

ov_Sys_info had the same info as *TEMP_DIR
Art Tostaine

Theo de Bruin

Post by Theo de Bruin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:35 am

Hi Art,

Why donýt you just use the LANSA TPTH variable to redirect all the temporary files, log files , LANSA traces and then X_ERR.log file to a location within the LANSA directories, so you know fro sure that there are no problems with access / security etc.?

This is a sample of what I advise customers and partner to put in the X_LANSA.PRO

APPL=LANSA
DATF=DMY
DBCL=2
DBCF=CT_INTEGRATED_LOGON:N
DBII=V14SP2
DBIT=MSSQLS
DBTC=Y
FATL=Y
FLDX=N
INST=MSI
ITRO=N
ITRM=999999999
ITRL=9
ITRC=ALL
LOCK=YES
DPTH=\\DESKTOP-PC\V14SP2\Queue
LPTH=\\DESKTOP-PC\V14SP2\Lob\
PPTH=\\DESKTOP-PC\V14SP2\tmp\
PRTR=*PATH
PSEA=DBID=*SERVER,DBUT=*SERVER
PSLU=*LOCAL
PSPC=DESKTOP-PC
PSCQ=DCXCLIENTQ
PSSQ=DCXSERVERQ
SUDB=N
TPTH=\\DESKTOP-PC\V14SP2\Log
UDEF=VERSION14.2
WAML=LANSA:XHTML
WASP=\\DESKTOP-PC\V14SP2\tmp\
WPEN=Y
WPFD=F
WPPD=E
WPDF="Lucida Console"

N.B. Notice the path redirections for BLOBS and CLOBS / WAM /printer files etc ... they contain the current machine name , the Shared folder name ( to the LANSA installation root directory ) and a custom assigned subdirectory to store those files ( named Log, or
Tmp , or whatever you want )

Even when this is used from a Network Client only / Shortcuts to run LANSA from another Server, this will work just fine !

Please let me know if this is a usable solution for you.

caseywhite

Post by caseywhite » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:19 am

Thanks Casey. It could be either one of those I guess. Is that an EPC Or known issue?

ov_Sys_info had the same info as *TEMP_DIR
Not sure if it is an EPC or known issue. I was wondering if somehow *TEMP_DIR wasn't returning the correct temp directory. I am not sure I fully understand the issue though. What is the directory that *TEMP_DIR is returning? Are you saying that your LANSA form can't access this directory? Could be an authority issue.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Theo de Bruin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:35 am
Hi Art,

Why donýt you just use the LANSA TPTH variable to redirect all the temporary files, log files , LANSA traces and then X_ERR.log file to a location within the LANSA directories, so you know fro sure that there are no problems with access / security etc.?
Please let me know if this is a usable solution for you.
Thanks for the post Theo. It could work for me but how do you deploy a custom x_Start for each PC? We are Windows and using the deployment tool. Does it have a replacement variable for the PC name?
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:08 pm

caseywhite wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:19 am
Not sure if it is an EPC or known issue. I was wondering if somehow *TEMP_DIR wasn't returning the correct temp directory. I am not sure I fully understand the issue though. What is the directory that *TEMP_DIR is returning? Are you saying that your LANSA form can't access this directory? Could be an authority issue.
We /think/ it might be authority issue. We have an RP that is using the Lansa image control to show the blob/image, that works fine. When we popup the form and try to use an outside party image viewer we can't see the image.

Everything works when we signon as a local user.
Art Tostaine

caseywhite

Post by caseywhite » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:21 am

For the 3rd party image viewer, could it be messing up or maybe truncating the path?

For Theo's suggestion I don't think you can set a TPTH by PC but would you need to have a different TPTH depending on user type. What if all users used the same TPTH that you know is on ALL PCs regardless of type of user.

To test this theory you could set the TPTH manually on the one PC that doesn't work to some directory you know exists and see if it works for that PC. If it does, do the same thing on a PC that uses the standard log on. If that works, then you could deploy the same TPTH to everyone.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:55 am

caseywhite wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:21 am
For the 3rd party image viewer, could it be messing up or maybe truncating the path?
I don't think so. I've debugged on the development machine and it's correct.
caseywhite wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:21 am
For Theo's suggestion I don't think you can set a TPTH by PC but would you need to have a different TPTH depending on user type. What if all users used the same TPTH that you know is on ALL PCs regardless of type of user.

To test this theory you could set the TPTH manually on the one PC that doesn't work to some directory you know exists and see if it works for that PC. If it does, do the same thing on a PC that uses the standard log on. If that works, then you could deploy the same TPTH to everyone.
I am waiting to get access to the machine and I'm going to try editing the x_Start manually to find out what works.
Art Tostaine

Theo de Bruin

Post by Theo de Bruin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Hi Art,

regarding your question:

Thanks for the post Theo. It could work for me but how do you deploy a custom x_Start for each PC? We are Windows and using the deployment tool. Does it have a replacement variable for the PC name?

- Depending if this is a full LANSA Runtime environment, or just the shortcuts version that connects to a remote LANSA server,
for the last one you can use \\<servername>\<sharename>\tmp and it will work on each client, but also for the first one you
could do similar and all user temp files created by LANSA X-run programs wil go there.If you want this on each local full
LANSA environment separately, you could use the fixed paths like 'TPTH=C:\Program Files\LANSA\tmp'

And please note that al generix X_start parameters should NOT be in the X_START parameter file over and over again, but in the
X_LANSA.PRO, so no need to deploy this in the x_start files...

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:10 am

My testing with TPTH = 'c:\temp' looks like it's working. How do I use the deployment tool to add that parameter?

We use JIT and full deployment to all end user PC's. Do I use the x_lansa.pro editor? That will flow through to the deployment?
Art Tostaine

caseywhite

Post by caseywhite » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:25 am

You should be able to specify it in the X_RUN parameters. See below. I can't remember if JIT will deploy a new X_RUN parameter though.

https://docs.lansa.com/14/en/lansa022/i ... s%7C_____5

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 am

Use TPTH is working for us. It is deploying properly. Is there a way to specify TPTH when running the app from the IDE?

Thanks
Art Tostaine

caseywhite

Post by caseywhite » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 am

You should be able to put it in the X_LANSA.PRO file in the X_WIN95\X_LANSA directory.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 am

Thanks. I was one directory under there looking like crazy.
Art Tostaine