V14 documentation

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
Post Reply
gillettd
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

V14 documentation

Post by gillettd » Tue May 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi,

Is there any proper V14 doco available ?

Also, i can't find any web page property for "displaying a Loading Screen" which is supposed to be implemented in epc 1410010

" 0154868 Implement a loading screen component

Visual LANSA Web Pages will now display a Loading Screen while the application is being downloaded.
The text and image of this screen are configurable for the Web Page. "

Any feedback welcome

Cheers

I found the loading screen properties on the "integration tab" in the editor but the application now falls over with a js error??

Uncaught TypeError: Lansa.checkVersion is not a function

User avatar
Stewart Marshall
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by Stewart Marshall » Tue May 24, 2016 6:25 pm

This sounds like something you should report to you regional helpdesk.

I'm sure they'll be able to help you resolve your issues


Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

dannyoorburg
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: V14 documentation

Post by dannyoorburg » Tue May 24, 2016 7:09 pm

It's just a matter of making sure you recompile all parts of your application.... themes, reusable parts, widgets.

It's only an issue if you've been developing on 14GA without any EPC's.

Danny

gillettd
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by gillettd » Wed May 25, 2016 12:07 pm

dannyoorburg wrote:It's just a matter of making sure you recompile all parts of your application.... themes, reusable parts, widgets.

It's only an issue if you've been developing on 14GA without any EPC's.

Danny
Hi Danny,

Thanks a lot ..it does not crash anymore but ...I can't see any spinner :( ...do I need to add a resource??

Cheers

dannyoorburg
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: V14 documentation

Post by dannyoorburg » Wed May 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Hi,

it's enough to just set the Image to Spinner to get the default LANSA spinner. The Resource value is there if you want to provide your own gif.

It becomes visible if loading all initial resources for your Web Page takes longer than a second, it disappears again as your RDMLX starts executing.

Running of your local PC, you're probably up and running within a second, so you don't see it.

Chrome let's you simulate slow internet speeds quite nicely ( F12 to bring up the developer tools, Network Tab ) ...
throttling.png
throttling.png (44.39 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
Now you should see it.

Danny

gillettd
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by gillettd » Wed May 25, 2016 4:46 pm

dannyoorburg wrote:Hi,

it's enough to just set the Image to Spinner to get the default LANSA spinner. The Resource value is there if you want to provide your own gif.

It becomes visible if loading all initial resources for your Web Page takes longer than a second, it disappears again as your RDMLX starts executing.

Running of your local PC, you're probably up and running within a second, so you don't see it.

Chrome let's you simulate slow internet speeds quite nicely ( F12 to bring up the developer tools, Network Tab ) ...
throttling.png
Now you should see it.

Danny
Thank you :)

User avatar
ahj_dk
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by ahj_dk » Wed May 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi,

What part of the documentation are you missing ?
The general documentation is available from http://docs.lansa.com/140/EN/
But there are some hidden gems, like http://docs.lansa.com/140/EN/lansa016/ that are a list of Visual LANSA Component Classes, I have found this page very helpful.
Regards
Allan Jakobsen
Futura Data A/S

User avatar
Stewart Marshall
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by Stewart Marshall » Thu May 26, 2016 8:35 am

http://docs.lansa.com/140/EN/lansa016/ is the internal docs reference to the "Feature Help Index" available from the VL main help page http://docs.lansa.com/140/en/lansa801/index.htm.

This is precisely the same help you'll see if you press F1 on a feature in the source code.

There is help here for every property, event, method and class known to VL; a little over 4000 individual bits of help. As this is all very new, please let us know if you see anything wrong.

Thanks
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

gillettd
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by gillettd » Thu May 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Stewart Marshall wrote:http://docs.lansa.com/140/EN/lansa016/ is the internal docs reference to the "Feature Help Index" available from the VL main help page http://docs.lansa.com/140/en/lansa801/index.htm.

This is precisely the same help you'll see if you press F1 on a feature in the source code.

There is help here for every property, event, method and class known to VL; a little over 4000 individual bits of help. As this is all very new, please let us know if you see anything wrong.

Thanks
Hi,

I have a few major questions basically ... how to integrate a javascript framework/boostrap classes in v14 for e.g if there is a real need for it?

In any case ..thanks for the links :)

Cheers,

User avatar
Stewart Marshall
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by Stewart Marshall » Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 pm

If you wish to use features of an external JavaScript library you can create a widget. VL is shipped with examples demonstrating how you might use Google Maps and Google graphs.

With regards to Bootstrap specifically, is there something specific that LANSA doesn't yet have available?

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

jyoung
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK USA

Re: V14 documentation

Post by jyoung » Thu May 26, 2016 11:27 pm

If you are looking to add JQuery, Bootstrap or any other external script or css you need to add them as external resources in LANSA.

What I had done was to copy the resource files into the partition web folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\LANSA\X_WIN95\X_LANSA\x_sys\web\vl) and have folders for handlebars, jquery and our own script folder. Inside each folder then are the actual scripts and stylesheets.

Now in LANSA add an "External Resource" give it a name, select "Partition VL-Web" for the LANSA folder, use the ellipses to browse for your script in the web folder.

Once you have it defined as an external resource, on your web page or widget, select the "Integration" or "Resources" tab and select the "Add" button in the toolbar to add the resource.

gillettd
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by gillettd » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:26 am

jyoung wrote:If you are looking to add JQuery, Bootstrap or any other external script or css you need to add them as external resources in LANSA.

What I had done was to copy the resource files into the partition web folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\LANSA\X_WIN95\X_LANSA\x_sys\web\vl) and have folders for handlebars, jquery and our own script folder. Inside each folder then are the actual scripts and stylesheets.

Now in LANSA add an "External Resource" give it a name, select "Partition VL-Web" for the LANSA folder, use the ellipses to browse for your script in the web folder.

Once you have it defined as an external resource, on your web page or widget, select the "Integration" or "Resources" tab and select the "Add" button in the toolbar to add the resource.
Hi,

This is all good ..but ...how do we access any object in the DOM since the only attribute that looks like a name or ID is the "lansahandle" attribute?

Also i think that the loading spinner should be available for any control on the web page ..no just the web page itself. A list can be refreshed by a button click and the spinner should be made available then :) ..this is common practice as far as i know

Cheers,

Dominique

gillettd
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by gillettd » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:26 pm

gillettd wrote:
jyoung wrote:If you are looking to add JQuery, Bootstrap or any other external script or css you need to add them as external resources in LANSA.

What I had done was to copy the resource files into the partition web folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\LANSA\X_WIN95\X_LANSA\x_sys\web\vl) and have folders for handlebars, jquery and our own script folder. Inside each folder then are the actual scripts and stylesheets.

Now in LANSA add an "External Resource" give it a name, select "Partition VL-Web" for the LANSA folder, use the ellipses to browse for your script in the web folder.

Once you have it defined as an external resource, on your web page or widget, select the "Integration" or "Resources" tab and select the "Add" button in the toolbar to add the resource.
Hi,

This is all good ..but ...how do we access any object in the DOM since the only attribute that looks like a name or ID is the "lansahandle" attribute?

There is an attribute selector in jquery for sure ...but ..is this the right way to do it?

Also i think that the loading spinner should be available for any control on the web page ..no just the web page itself. A list can be refreshed by a button click and the spinner should be made available then :) ..this is common practice as far as i know

Cheers,

Dominique
I got it to work but not sure it's the best way to it

User avatar
Stewart Marshall
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: V14 documentation

Post by Stewart Marshall » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Dominique

I am of course pleased that you have a working solution, but I am concerned that you feel the need to use BootStrap and jQuery.

What specific features or classes are you accessing. Or better put, what is it you want that LANSA does not provide?

Could you please clarify what it you're trying to achieve.

Regards
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

Post Reply