What's going on @ LANSA?

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
atostaine

What's going on @ LANSA?

Post by atostaine » Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 am

My emails to support go unanswered, new incidents never get picked up by anyone. Linked in messages let me know that most of the people I used to talk to in Chicago are no longer there. Even the president "retired"

Idera doesn't get great reviews on line. I know their press releases said things will go on as usual but that turned out to be false. From time to time my customers ask me about LANSA's health. Now I have an obligation to let them know that I'm worried about the future of LANSA.

Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?

Art
Art Tostaine

jyoung

Re: What's going on @ LANSA?

Post by jyoung » Fri May 17, 2019 3:14 am

Yeah. Same here.

Joe

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm

It's a very sad state of affairs, but that was always a likely outcome in the short term.

Hoping for all that Idera care enough to want to do something about it, but their track record isn't overly encouraging.
Stewart Marshall

Independent IT Consultant
www.marshallfloyd.com.au

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Fri May 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Yes I’ve heard some other things since posting this and it’s far worse than I thought.
Art Tostaine

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Mon May 20, 2019 5:37 pm

A little bit of British "Keep calm and carry on" is called for I think, Art

Whatever is going on will doubtless be sorted in the coming weeks
Stewart Marshall

www.marshallfloyd.com.au

dhnaigles

Post by dhnaigles » Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 am

It is a bit distressing when so many experienced lansa employees are leaving the company. I, too, have had a very tough time explaining/justifying to my senior management that our decision to use LANSA as our main development platform may not have been the correct one. It was correct at the time, but the reduction in experienced support personnel has me worried that when we continue to "push the envelope" using new LANSA technologies, we will not have the required service level of support to move forward without delays. This is not to say the LANSA support is at fault. I just wonder why so many people have left the company and what this says about the direction that LANSA will move in the future.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 am

i'm calmly trying to decide how to tell my customers any of this.....

1/3 of support is gone. The BEST support guys. Don Nelson gone, ran support forever. If I had an incident get lost in the pile, Don always responded immediately.

I 1hink all of marketing is gone.

I'm not a customer of Professional services, but they are losing the best people. I haven't heard of one "manager" leaving.

Presales gone.

Read up on Idera buying other companies. Terrible. Sencha is one.

Is anyone else concerned that the dongle is gone for licensing? That means we have to rely on support or licensing (if that dept even exists) to get us a new license when we change PC's? If we decided to stop paying support because their is none, will we not get new licenses?
Art Tostaine

Stewart Marshall

Post by Stewart Marshall » Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 am

Right now, we're seeing the results of an acquisition. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm pretty certain Idera didn't spend many millions on an asset only to do their best to wreck it.

And as for Sencha, there's lots of bad press about the take over, but note that Sencha didn't disappear. It's still going strong, still being sold and still being developed. (https://www.sencha.com/blog/sencha-roadmap-update/)

There's no reason to think that LANSA will be any different, and given the level of investment, I'd be more inclined to be excited about prospective futures.
Stewart Marshall

www.marshallfloyd.com.au

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 am

I am often told i am a chronic optimist, but I am still confident that LANSA's future is bright. There are certainly a few people leaving, but from what i heard they are doing so out of their own decisions. Sencha was a startup company with lots of unnecessary expenditures and staff - LANSA is a much more established company so its hard to compare.

Unanswered support emails is a problem though, and if i would be following that up with the support manager in your area if possible. It could be just that your emails are getting blocked by a spam filter - it has happened to me before.

dhnaigles

Post by dhnaigles » Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 pm

Well I received a call from "Obi-Wan Kenobi" (also known as Pete Draney). I was very encouraged by the fact that he is still involved with LANSA affairs at this time and I am willing to give Idera the benefit of the doubt for now and wait and see what the future will hold. While I have some concerns with the wholesale reduction in experienced LANSA personnel, I am hoping that their will be an improvement for the better as we move forward.

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Wed May 22, 2019 12:57 am

dhnaigles wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 pm
Well I received a call from "Obi-Wan Kenobi" (also known as Pete Draney). I was very encouraged by the fact that he is still involved with LANSA affairs at this time and I am willing to give Idera the benefit of the doubt for now and wait and see what the future will hold. While I have some concerns with the wholesale reduction in experienced LANSA personnel, I am hoping that their will be an improvement for the better as we move forward.
I talked to Craig Trautman, the new GM of Lansa. He spent almost an hour on the phone with me to let me know that there are good times ahead for Lansa. Like David says, I have to give Idera the benefit of the doubt. I'm still apprehensive, but I'll tell my customers that management (and I got an email from Pete Draney too) wants to grow Lansa.

I know that others on this forum have talked to Craig, I'd like to hear their reactions.
Art Tostaine

atostaine

Post by atostaine » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

Idera just made news last week.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/idera-in ... 00136.html

It could be good news, I guess. It could be bad news if they are planning on selling the company outright.

Art
Art Tostaine