VLF-WIN does not launch from IDE tool bar (SOLVED)

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
MarcusLancaster

VLF-WIN does not launch from IDE tool bar (SOLVED)

Post by MarcusLancaster » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:26 am

Hi all.

Hopefully this is easily solved... I can run the VL Framework (for windows) in user, designer, admin and developer modes by running the appropriate UF_nnnnn form from the repository tab... but when I choose the "VL Framework -> VLF-WIN Demonstration / Work As a Developer" from the toolbar I'm getting a pop up message;

"The Visual LANSA Framework cannot be run using X (DirectX) render type. Choose either M(ixed) or W(in32) render type"

Now... I've hunted high and low and can't see anywhere where DirectX is explicitly specified (environmental vars, X_LANSA.PRO, X_START...) so has anybody any ideas where this might be being picked up from.

Like I said, I can work around it... but it would be nice to understand why I'm getting this error...

Cheers for now.

Marcus.

lawingo

Re: VLF-WIN does not launch from IDE tool bar

Post by lawingo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 am

I've ran into this - not in exactly the way you have explained but something similar. If you execute "UF_EXEC" with additional parameters, is the Render type = 'X'?
My guess is possibly the last Form you executed was with Rendor='X' and that value is being defaulted(remembered) when you execute the VLF Demonstration.

IF it is then I would suggest executing the form with Rendor='M' and then retry executing the VLF Demonstration.

Best,
Chad

MarkDale

Post by MarkDale » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 am

Older versions of the VLF did not allow you to use Renderstyle X.

The Tools menu option to start the framework was changed to use RenderStyle X.

So you might get this problem if you have upgraded lansa but have not initialized the partition with the VLF.

MarcusLancaster

Post by MarcusLancaster » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

@lawingo - yep I'm often messing around with different execution modes so that was a distinct possibility... but in this case it wasn't set to run in DirectX mode...

@MarkDale - ah ha! - so I ran a partition init of the Framework and that fixed it... as you suggest, I must have missed that step along the way.

So thanks once again, much appreciated :-)

Marcus.