VLF with RAMP Security

This Q&A forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. Please do not use to report (suspected) errors - you must use your regional help desk for this. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by LANSA and, as such, LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
rgjohnson

VLF with RAMP Security

Post by rgjohnson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:33 am

A couple of our very large customers are making changes to their security infrastructure that have resulted in questions about the ability to secure connections between the VLF-RAMP user and the backend IBM i system.

RAMP with VLF-Win

Connection 1: Desktop client connecting to LANSA Listener on the IBM i. Is there a way to secure/encrypt that connection? Is that data just un-encrypted data exposed to the network?

Connection 2: aXes connection between desktop client/browser and aXes on IBM i. This can be secured with standard SSL handling.

RAMP with VLF-One

Connection 1: Browser on user desktop connection to HTTP server on IBM i. Secure with standard SSL handling.

Connection 2: Connection between HTTP server on the IBM i and the LANSA Listener jobs on IBM i. What type of connection/communication is this? Does this communication happen across the network, or is this communication contained internally within the IBM i so not exposed to the network? If communication goes across the network can it be secured?

Connection 3: Browser on user desktop connection to axES ON ibm I. This can be secured with standard SSL handling.

We have been unable to find any documentation that talks about the two connections above that we have questions on. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

MarkD

Re: VLF with RAMP Security

Post by MarkD » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 am

All the HTTP style communications are protected by HTTPS as you indicate.

I think that all "super server" TCP/IP sockets connnections can also be encrypted since V12 (or maybe even earlier).

See this tip - https://www.lansa.com/support/tips/t0532.html

This might also be useful - https://www.lansa.com/downloads/support ... bility.pdf

rgjohnson

Re: VLF with RAMP Security

Post by rgjohnson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:28 am

Every time I need something like this I know it is likely in the documentation somewhere I just suck at finding it.

Thank you Mark